• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thumping Sound

bellajeep12

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, i have 98 jeep XJ limited with 31.5 x 10.5 MTRS 3.5" lift bull bar and long shackles plus a oldmanemu shocks and steering stabilizer and JKS quick disconnects and track bar. My u-joints are 2 years old along with rotors, drums and pads and bearings, new yoke from tranfercase, just fixed muffler. I know my motor and trans mounts might be bad and i know i need new tie rod ends. just tightened up my steering box due to it being loose. now the back story being told here is the PROBLEM.

Driving last night home getting around 50mph the entire front end started shaking. went home and then loosened up the steering box a 1/4 turn and the shaking stopped.

Driving to work this morning i noticed a thumping sound 1/4 or a mile away from work that sounded like it comes right from under driver's seat only happens during slow driving so i think it gets faster when you speed up and drowns out.

ALSO, when in 4wd hi and lo when i really need the front to work i have a loud clanking noise coming from the front. when i switch back to 2wdhi the clanking only happens for a few seconds while turning.

FINALLY, when i switch in and out of 4wd the light on the dash takes a couple of days to go off. how can i fix that.

Slaves of the JEEP GOD please help me find a way to appease HIM before the wrath of roadside assistance is smote upon me and the loud nagging sound starts from the passenger seat.

I agree with 98stocker. fix the known problems first than trouble shoot the unknown. Start narrowing the possibilities after you have made the fixes. It may be that there the known problems may solve your thumping and clunking and shaking problems. Warn tie rod end sure can cause some nasty vibes.

Thanks for the advice. Going to have a mech look at it in about 20 minutes to see what they say...money being tight i can't replace everything right now. anybody know where the least expensive parts are?

Found problem... Loose bolt on rear shock and loose lug nuts (now lets say it together "YOU IDIOT!")

Everybody what's your opinion on Moog tie rod ends? overrated?

Back