• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 swap done, but a wiring question?

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
So, on my 1989 XJ, AW4
I had my 231 that the PO drove around dry ( bad rear output seal) switched out with a 242. Since a buddy had a lift, he did it for me for $150. But I had a few questions:

1)He hooked up the wiring that was there, and now, the "part time" light is on all the time. My question is, does the 231 and 242 use the same switch?

2) I think I saw a post about a change in wiring harness so that it would work with both dash lights. I could not find a connector near the transmission where the wiring connects?

So, any help would be appreciated. Anyone have any experience with connecting the 242 wiring up?

Thanks in advance!

Rg

That was the thread I was looking for! Thanks.

You mention that the connector is hidden behind the bracket. Can I find that without dropping the transmission? I appears to be a cover plate/bracket, is there something I need to remove? I did order the jumper cable, so hopefully it works on a 1989.

Did you have a disconnect axle? If so, how did you work around that. I was just going to put some washers in there, so it would stay connected all the time.

Thanks for the advice.

RG

You mention that the connector is hidden behind the bracket. Can I find that without dropping the transmission?

I don't know if you can find it or not. I found it while doing the swap, and made sure it was reachable later. If you can feel it, you can probably fish it out.

I appears to be a cover plate/bracket, is there something I need to remove?
The bracket isn't really removable without separating the transfer case, since it's bolted into place when the tranny and tcase are joined.

Did you have a disconnect axle? If so, how did you work around that. I was just going to put some washers in there, so it would stay connected all the time.
'91 has the one-piece non-disco axle sorry.

Back