• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ax15 and dana30 questions

Kookenstein

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there, couple of questions on my 1990 xj,
First: My ax15 does not like to shift into first gear from a start, will go without problem if i am rolling, and can downshift without issue, but grinds when letting clutch out from a stop in first. (tend to start in second to get rolling from there)
Second: I have a parts 1995 xj 2wheel drive that has an 8.25 with i think 3.55 gears, is it worth it to swap out the d35 with 3.07's and what would i find a matching d30 on?

It sounds like bad synchros in your trans. I had to turn the engine off somtimes to put my 95 5 speed in first gearbecause the synchros were shot. And yes, it would be worth the axle swap even though it will probably be a 27 spline 8.25. You can't beat the price if you already have the part. A 3.55 d30 is probably the easiest ratio to locate. That should make it cheap too. Just look for a 90/99 so you don't have to mess with the knuckles or brakes.

If you are an experienced tranny guy it's pretty simple, if you are a parts changer[like me] you swap in a good used trans. I've rebuilt trannys, both stick and auto with the help of competent friends but I'd rather farm it out. It all depends on your level of skill.

Back