• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick question on rim size and backspacing with a budget 3in lift

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
so im planning on doing a budget lift around 3in, cutting my fenders and fits 33x11.50s on my jeep

i was planning on getting rims with a 3.75 back spacing 1 for a bit more room, 2 because i like the way it looks.

only problem is i found a good deal on a set of rims with 4.5 backspacing

what my question is: when only lifting the jeep 3in using stock control arms does backspacing make a difference?

so i spend the extra money and get rims with 3.75 or is 4.5 ok

That's only 3/4" less than a stock wheel. A 10.50 will rub with stock wheels, so it stands to reason an 11.50 will slightly rub with 4.5"bs. You should be able to shim the stops but actually I think that 3.75" is ideal on XJs. Just my opinion.

I ran 33x12.5 on a 3" lift and took them off because they rubbed too much. I raised my bumpstops 3" too. You'd Want as little back spacing as possible and probably new control arms. My stock LCA's are rubbed raw from the tires.

the rim in the pictures is one of the ones with 4.5backspacing

but i really dont want to spend more on control arms or anythingi guess im going to go with 3.75 ones that are new..was trying to save myself some money

ive been told 2.5 would decrease overall performance

With a 3" lift, I had 4.5" BS wheels with 32's and had no problems with rubbing the control arms and was even fine with the fenders after I trimmed them. Also, under extreme flex, I was able to tuck the tires inside the fenders just perfectly so they didn't rub front or rear.

I have 4" of BS now and I don't think I'd go anymore, even with a 4.5" lift.

Believe the guy who has them on his rig. The bent wheel looks pretty fixable, but it's hard to tell from your pic. If it's not fixable, 4WD Hardware has that wheel for $56.99 2 hours south of you in Lynnwood, Wa.

one of the benefits of having less backspacing is so that your tire will tuck inside the fender, allowing more room for flex. But I like the wide tire look and I'm running 33x12.5's on 3.5" BS. I had to trim my fenders more to clear them under flex, but they look good!

one of the benefits of having less backspacing is so that your tire will tuck inside the fender, allowing more room for flex.

Other way around. :)

Less backspacing means the tires will stick out more. More backspacing means the tires will stick out less and tuck into the fenders upon flex.

so now im kinda confussed..can i run 32x11.50 on only 3 inches of lift with choping the fenders or will it rub too much?

Nah it'll be fine. I ran my current 32x11.5 Kumho KL71's on 4" BS wheels with my previous 3" Rusty's lift and chopped fenders. I didn't have any sort of bumpstop and still my tires only slightly rubbed the front fenders at full (fairly extreme) flex. It'll look great with those sizes, I just recently upgraded because I wanted a bit more clearance and a more hardcore lift setup.

ok well im going to go with the 15x8 with 4.5 backspacing, hopefully they will be fine

im saving myself 120bucks and because of my tight tight budget its alot

i just didnt want to end up buying these rims, installing my budget lift then running into more problems with rubbing because the backspacing was low enough..and it would end up costing me

thanks

Back