• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail Rated ABS?

G.Q. Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys I did a search but came up empty....

I am looking at getting a 1991-96 Jeep XJ, its got everything factory including the ABS, as I understand in '92 they changed the system for the better, however what I need to know is, how are they in general?

I will be mud bogging the guts out of it and occasionally a soaker or two, is the system water proof? what are the pro's and con's of wheeling with a ABS system like the ones used in the XJ, and any other comments will be so awsome!

OOOOOOOOOOPs sorry the one I am looking at inparticular is a 1995!

Thanks

Jeff

Last edited:
No ABS system is good for off-road use. Truth is any good driver can stop faster and safely with standard brakes, most Police cars remove ABS.

non-abs will lock up causing the dirt/gravel under the tire to build up like a wheel chuck. abs will bring you to a "controled" stop which might let the vehicle go further than you want potentially causing an offroad accident.

there are writeups on the net for wiring in a ABS bypass switch, so you can disable it when wheeling and en-able it when street driving.

in 95 they changed something with the brakes, i know the brake booster is different but other than that i'm not sure

Kewl thanks guys,

Just also wondering if they are water proof if the interior is filled with water, is there a stupied control box under the rear seat that will make life miserble if its all soaking wet?

If I go with this one, I have to make sure that it will not cause me too much grief when I go hardcore.

Cheers, Jeff

Water resistant yes, waterproof NO. Mud water small stones will ruin the wheel sensors
The control under the seat definitely can't take any water.

scorpio_vette said:
non-abs will lock up causing the dirt/gravel under the tire to build up like a wheel chuck. abs will bring you to a "controled" stop which might let the vehicle go further than you want potentially causing an offroad accident.

there are writeups on the net for wiring in a ABS bypass switch, so you can disable it when wheeling and en-able it when street driving.

Thus, I think, langer's "good driver" qualification. I can attest to that - I have an easier time stopping using conventional braking than ABS - because I learned on conventional brakes, and my reactions are attuned to conventional brakes rather than ABS.

Besides, having conventional brakes (and the concurrent ability to lock up the wheels,) also gives me the ability to execute maneuvers which are difficult - if not impossible - with ABS (bootlegger reverse comes to mind - also powerslides and controlled skids. Believe it or not, you can control some skids...)

And, I'm not a huge fan of adding controls to replace operator skill in any vehicle - "build a car any idiot can drive, and every idiot will have one..."

5-90

Back