• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

smoke under hard acceleration

rehberg79

NAXJA Forum User
I think I saw my XJ smoke this morning. I was accelerating pretty fast from a stop light and I'm not 100% sure but I think I puffed out some smoke. It's a '99 with 64500 miles, what would cause this? What should I do to fix it? Is there anything I should check?

Thanks, Mat

How cold was it when you were driving? How are the levels of both coolant and oil? If it's burning either of the two, you'll eventually know it by the levels of those fluids dropping. Check for milkiness in the oil as well both on the dipstick and the oil fill cap. White smoke from the exhaust could be coolant burning off, blue smoke more probably oil. I wouldn't worry about it too much yet, but would continue to monitor.

the outside temp was around 45, and the jeep was warm around 210. I just changed the oil 2 weeks ago and it looked good. It's never used any oil but I've only had for 6 months. Coolant level is good also. Hopefully it was outside temp...... Just have to keep an eye on it,".

Mat

Black smoke means you need to go somewhere and blow it out. That is carbon buildup.

Last edited:
In the "old" days, you would diagnose the condition of the engine by observing the nature and color of tail pipe smoke.
At start up, you may get a puff of bluish smoke, probably indicating leaking valve guides/seals. To further check that possibility, we'd do a second test, with the engine at operating temps: Drive at a constant speed, and accelerate hard. You should not see any smoke. If you do, it's probably worn cylinder rings, or a bad bore.
Next, while driving steady, let off on the accelerator, and coast for a couple of seconds, then accelerate hard again; a blue puff confirms leaking valve guides or seals.
White-sh smoke on cool mornings is normal condensation.
Oh yea, black smoke probably means rich mixture.

Black smoke means you need to go somewhere and blow it out. That is carbon buildup.

Agreed. If I go for a long period of time with out really gettin on the skinny pedal, mine will also blow out a bit of black smoke. I usually make a point to blow it out once or twice a month. Keeps it happy too :)

Back