• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shifter Button Deletion

Pharaoh XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I remember I saw a writeup on how to delete the shifter button so you can shift down to 3rd without pressing the button.

My engine is growing weaker & it needs lower gears for longer time, so I use 3rd quite alot.

I searched but couldnt find it.

Thanks

Take off that plate that covers the transmission shifter and look at the setup. It is a stepped piece of metal that will prevent you from shifting into the incorrect gear. Just find the one that is preventing the shift from drive to 3 and you'll be all set.

There's a metal arch that has the notches in it that prevent inadvertent shifts, it looks like the Drive to 3rd is just a little ramp so it'll shift one way, but not the other. You could either grind that little ramp off completely, or make into more of a ^, so it still has a little resistance, but you don't have to push the button. It looks like a dremel and a small diameter stone or a small file and some patience will be needed, there's not a lot of room to work, and the metal arch is riveted on the one I'm looking at

Be warned, even if you just remove the third gear indent, with enough momentum it can pop down into 1-2. Not a problem I have had driving my jeep, but others have had that problem driving my jeep.

Back