• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bumper

unclethumbtack

NAXJA Forum User
Jason from Unknown customs in Baxter Springs, KS built me a bumper out of 1/8 inch plate and square tubing that I thought was worthy of posting up here. It is not completely finished yet but I wanted to show how he worked the sheet metal into the bumper on the sides. It is 1/8 inch plate on the sides up to the seam then he welded it together.

31oct0811.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the opposite side, like I said it is not done (d-rings, paint) but I think it is going to be pretty sweet. He cut the stock mounts down and tried to suck the bumper in and still protect everything that is back there.
31oct089.jpg

If he is just going to weld the d-ring tabs to the face the bumper, it is not going to be half as strong as it would be if they were tied all the way through the bumper and into the frame rail tie ins. Speaking of tie ins, is he using more than the stock mounting points?

I have never had a d-ring get ripped off that was welded to the face that is the way they were on my full size cherokee that weighed around 6k. I understand your concern but I am positive it aint going anywhere.

I have never had a d-ring get ripped off that was welded to the face that is the way they were on my full size cherokee that weighed around 6k. I understand your concern but I am positive it aint going anywhere.

No problem. I'm not trying to bash the bumper, it looks nice. Just thought I'd point out the strength differences. Be sure to post up pics of the finished product. :thumbup:

It looks really good, not to bash but he only used 1/8" steel. Why not something thicker like 3/16". Looks great though, how did he make corners with such smooth curves?

It looks really good, not to bash but he only used 1/8" steel. Why not something thicker like 3/16". Looks great though, how did he make corners with such smooth curves?
The back is square tubing the corners and sides is the 1/8 inch plate. He used the plate to tie it in. If it wasn't plate it would be sheet metal there instead.

Jason from Unknown customs in Baxter Springs, KS built me a bumper out of 1/8 inch plate and square tubing that I thought was worthy of posting up here. It is not completely finished yet but I wanted to show how he worked the sheet metal into the bumper on the sides. It is 1/8 inch plate on the sides up to the seam then he welded it together.

31oct0811.jpg

how big of a block is that under the spring in that picture?

That looks great!!!!

I have the same plan, I'm going to apply this to mine as well. It wouldn't hurt to cut your rear bottom half and fold it up, then wrap the bumper around it...

Keil

3 inch - I did it as a quick fix I am going to get some RE springs next spring.

yeah I have 2" blocks... :( not so good. Gives me axle hop when I do burnouts, but its what I have till I get off my ass and try(again) to get those seized bolts out of my stock springs

Back