• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got crazy with the coolers

unclethumbtack

NAXJA Forum User
After seeing that everyone else on here is running the explorer tranny cooler. I got one and I had already decided that I was going to run a p/s cooler because eventually I am going hydraulic assist, after I got both installed I realized that the p/s cooler is freaking huge compared to other peoples on here.
coolers.jpg
IMG%5D

that is pretty big. You still have room under it for an oil cooler. I have my tranny on the right and my oil cooler on the left.

Can youclarify your right/left comment? Driver or passenger for the tranny cooler?

I just picked up a stacked plate cooler and am wondering which side is best and why? There doesn't seem to be a consensus.

hmmm looks good i guess

i put my explorer tranny cooler on the cluch side of the radiator thinking that the constant spin of the clutch fan will pull air across it when its idling. I later put in a junk yard home brew adapter that plugs between the electric fan and harness so i can turn the fan on anytime i want (or the compuer will kick it on whenever it needs to just like stock). On some 90 degree days, the tranny dosnt really cool down much as i thought it would sometimes even gets hotter when it is just idling. going down the road it works fine. If i was going to do it again, i would have put the cooler on the electric fan side because now i can kick the fan on and maybe that would cool it down better. dont have any proof of this, just something id try if you have a bypass switch.

Has anybody ever looked at power steering coolers from a dodge stratus? i was looking around the junk yard and they looked like they would work pretty good. im thinking about putting one in.

looking at the front I put the tranny cooler on the right(drivers side) the reason is that the rubber and hard lines are already on that side of the radiator, so it was easier. I put my engine oil cooler on the left(passenger) side because that would make the oil lines the shortest.

Hope it does not increase your engine temp too much with all the added resistriction and heat you are pumping through it now!

Couldn't be any worse than the A/C condensor when using the A/C I'd assume, with the heat it is giving off and covering the entire surface area of the radiator core anyway. Probably less restrictive and hot this way.

engine temps are really low. I have no condenser, and I am running a 3row rad. I went most of the summer without cutting the fans on. It runs really cool, pinned right on the 195 thermo temp

I run a pretty large B&M stacked plate tranny cooler as a P/S Cooler. No ill effects.

Got my cooler from eBay today. Was the towing package cooler kit from a Dodge Ram. Came with a stacked plate cooler, fan housing & fan, wiring harness to the battery, 10ft of hose, and the cooler has a temp sensor built in. I looked at the fan and it's the exact fan we use in our Cherokees! The fan housing is too big to mount anywhere so I'll sell it and the fan and get back the $15 + shipping I paid for it all. I think I'll wire in the temp sensor to the aux fan and put it on the driver's side.

Thanks for the advice gang!

Looks good . Looks like you have enough room for the engine oil cooler.

Nick

Be fine if no condensor and didn't noticed it was not there. Over hear no XJ's ever came without A/C so not used to not having it. Jason from Jeepin.com noticed a heat increase on the engine when running a stacked plate cooler in front of his A/C.

The fan housing is too big to mount anywhere so I'll sell it and the fan and get back the $15 + shipping I paid for it all.

Thanks for the advice gang!

I'll give you the $15 + shipping for the fan!
I'll PM ya!

Back