• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using stock XJ leafs for more lift????

ocalajeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody added stock XJ leafs to their current XJ pack to get more lift? If so, which leafs did you use and how much lift did you get? Kinda curious as to how much just the bottom leaf would give, or combining two stock packs. Any care to share some info? Thanks.

I used the leaf right under the main leaf and it gave around an inch. Then I used the shortest leaf and stacked it under a 1 ton trucks over load spring and its great. It gave another inch and it works like a long travel bump stop.

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/tech_articles.htm

Check out their budget boost, scroll to bottom, click link for "update".
IIRC they added an extra main + extra 2nd spring which gave 2.25" of lift, flexed and rode to beat all.
I think if you double the entire pack you get 3", add a shackle box from HD Offroad + 1" lift shackle, you might net 4.5 -5" of flexy, cadilac-ridin' joy

Similar to Mutant, I used the standard 2nd main leaf with the eyes cut off, I then took the next 2 leafs and trimmed them down a few inches on each end so they fell halfway between the lengths of the other leafs. I ended up with a 7 leaf pack that has about 3" of lift and rides nice. It's really nice to work with leaves that all have the same arch so you don't feel like the thing is going to kill you as you take it apart and put it back together. Another nice thing is that you can do all of this without unbolting the original main leaf if you think you might have corrosion problems with getting the bolts out. As with any project like this, longer center bolts and longer u-bolts are necessary.

Similar to Mutant, I used the standard 2nd main leaf with the eyes cut off, I then took the next 2 leafs and trimmed them down a few inches on each end so they fell halfway between the lengths of the other leafs. I ended up with a 7 leaf pack that has about 3" of lift and rides nice. It's really nice to work with leaves that all have the same arch so you don't feel like the thing is going to kill you as you take it apart and put it back together. Another nice thing is that you can do all of this without unbolting the original main leaf if you think you might have corrosion problems with getting the bolts out. As with any project like this, longer center bolts and longer u-bolts are necessary.
How did your shackle angle come out?

Has anybody added stock XJ leafs to their current XJ pack to get more lift? If so, which leafs did you use and how much lift did you get? Kinda curious as to how much just the bottom leaf would give, or combining two stock packs. Any care to share some info? Thanks.

Yes. I don't remember which leaves, I've had many variations. It's a trial and error kind of thing. A couple of important things are to be sure the lengths are staggared and that you keep something to reduce friction between the leaves. Because it's almost impossible to drill new hols in the ends of the leaves to reinstall the friction pads, if you shorten a leaf, you can use full length liners or low friction paint. You can add a lot of leaves for good weight carrying ability and more lift and if you keep the friction down they will still ride and flex well.

Back