• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Losing Brake Fluid

91jeepster

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1991 XJ and checked the brake fluid a while ago and the smaller of the two reservoirs was only about 3/4ths full, and the other was full. I don't think that the fluid level got low enough for air to get in the system, so I didn't bleed the brakes but I refilled it with fluid. About another week later it was down about 1 inch so I refilled it. I checked underneath for leaks in the brake lines, but found nothing. I checked it recently and it was down again. Is there anything that I can check for, like common sites for leaks, or what else can I do. Thanks for your help.

check the wheel cylinders. I've found that you can get enough mud caked up in the area where it can absorb the brake fluid making it hard to find a leak on the driveway.

check the wheel cylinders. I've found that you can get enough mud caked up in the area where it can absorb the brake fluid making it hard to find a leak on the driveway.

x2
rear brake cylinders often leak.

if they are leaking, its time for a rear brake rebuild. rebuild kit, wheel cylinders, and brake shoes are roughly $100. if the drums are in bad shape, there only about $20 a side. if i dont do yearly maintenance on the rear brakes on my 89, the brakes become useless. i wonder how many xj's are out there with rear brakes that dont even work.

The smaller reservoir is for the rear brakes, which almost certainly points to rear wheel cylinders. Even the new ones you get can leak by looking at them the wrong way.

x2
rear brake cylinders often leak.

if they are leaking, its time for a rear brake rebuild. rebuild kit, wheel cylinders, and brake shoes are roughly $100. if the drums are in bad shape, there only about $20 a side. if i dont do yearly maintenance on the rear brakes on my 89, the brakes become useless. i wonder how many xj's are out there with rear brakes that dont even work.

$100 is really high. The shoes are roughly $25 and the wheel cylinders are about $15 per side (if you get the rebuild kit only $4 per side). However, last time I got drums, they were about $60 each.

I recommend the rebuild kit because it only takes about 5 minutes for each side, but you will need the hone tool to clean the cylinder well before rebuilding.

My rear brakes work great on my 89. I can lock 35's at highway speed, but I converted to a WJ booster and master cylinder.

Back