• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GMC M135 2 1/2 ton 6X6 Axles

JamesD

NAXJA Forum User
I have found one of these that I can buy the axles from cheap. Are these something that I can use? Any write ups are appreciated.

Here is a pic of one.

1955gmcm1356x6.jpg

I think that if you can pick them up for cheap then do it, you can always resell them or have them around for a project or something.

Do some searching over on www.pirate4x4.com where there certainly will be some good threads about rockwell axles. You could positively identify the axles you're talking about and then decide if it's worth all the hard work it's gonna take to harvest them from under such a large truck.

Hopefully you already understand that using any kind of Rockwell axle is going to require a HUGE amount of modification to an XJ to make them work without tearnig the XJ apart........

OK These may be a little much for me. Should I buy them just as an investment? What should these bring in the for sale area. I can get them cheap so what do you think a fair price would be for me to sell these for if I buy them. Thanks

James

i dunno how much they are worth, they look like eatons to me, good axle and becoming very popular in the south especially, a lot of the local "big rigs" are runnin e'm and last year i think three or four top truck challengers ran them, as far as that goes selling them might be tough cause there would be a very small market for something like that and you could have the set for a week or you could have them for 2 1/2 years, just my .02 cents

Ok just found out that these are a reverse rotation and will be too much mod for me to go through so if anyone wants them fro some reason let me know and I can get them for you but I am not purchasing them.

If they are reverse rotation then chances are they are similar in principle to the d30 reverse rotation... i dont know, could be wrong.. if this is the case then it is probably a good thing.

All that aside its still the same process for the install of a custom axle that is standard rotation

twisted_ed said:
If they are reverse rotation then chances are they are similar in principle to the d30 reverse rotation... i dont know, could be wrong.. if this is the case then it is probably a good thing.

All that aside its still the same process for the install of a custom axle that is standard rotation

You mean D30 reverse-cut, or reverse-spiral? Any D30 always spins the same way, whether it's high pinion or low pinion.

I think what he's getting at is the orientation of the pinion and ring gear is reversed so that forward motion is produced by turning the driveshaft in the opposite direction than standard (which for a rear shaft is counter-clockwise when looking from the rear of the vehicle towards the front).

So....if it's a drop-out 3rd member that's flippable sorta like a 9" it might be a cool way to make a high-pinion axle that turns the right way, OR it would be a nice candidate to put behind a rig if you were running a VW bus motor, or a transaxle mid-mounted sort of thing that needed to spin that direction.

Back