• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pump

phxZ31

NAXJA Forum User
I think my oil pump is failing.

A little background on the issue:
several months ago, my Cherokee 4.0L started making a noise. It sounds like a combination of a bad bearing and a mechanical problem. Using a stethoscope, I believed the water pump bearing was bad, as that is where the waterpump housing seemed to be the source of the noise. It sounds almost like there is a loose part rattling around in the pump housing.

Anyway, I purchased a new pump with the intentions of putting it in on a cooler weekend (it was middle of summer here in AZ at the time) and since the car was not loosing any coolant or overheating, I didnt consider it a huge priority. Long story short, the noise went away on its own after a couple weeks.

Fast forward to about a week ago, I notice the noise is back. Exact same noise, exact same place. No big deal, I figure I'll monitor it for a week and see what happens, but figure I'd be replacing that water pump afterall.

Today, I am driving down the street to the bank, and while sitting at a red light, look down and notice the "Check Gauges" light illuminated. I am looking at my gauges to see that my oil pressure is reading 0. Turn the radio down, open the windows, and hear that "noise" I've described above, but the engine seems to be purring like a kitten still. When the light turns green, I give it a little gas, oil pressure rises to 15-20psi, "check gauges" light turns off, but as I decelerate or idle, it always drops back down to 0 and the Check Gauges light comes back on.

I checked the oil level: fine.
I checked the condition of the wiring to the pressure sending unit: fine.
The sending unit looks relatively new, but I intend to replace it today just in case.

On my way home from the bank, driving carefully and feeling a little paranoid, I notice that unlike before where at driving speeds the engine generally drowned out the "noise", now the noise seems louder, more pronounced, and audible at cruising speeds. Perhaps its just me being crazy, I don't know..

Anybody have any ideas? I'm hoping the oil pump isn't shot, that doesn't sound like a fun thing to try and replace. If it is the oil pump, does anybody know if its possible to replace it without having to remove the engine from the vehicle?

Well update:
It WAS the oil pressure sending unit, the plastic connector on the back cracked and was leaking oil out into the connector. Replaced and the oil pressure reads normal again.

Also, verified that the sound IS the waterpump as originally thought. The reason its louder now is that the shaft and pulley is actually wobbling around noticably. Curious that it still doesn't leak at all, but I'm replacing it this weekend.

Last edited:
mine does this but its a 90 xj that i put a brand new water pump in, when at an idle after warming up the oil pressure drops to 0 and it begins tapping like its low on oil but its not, as the rpm's go up no matter if in gear or N the oil pressure rises and the tapping goes away in the motor

mine does this but its a 90 xj that i put a brand new water pump in, when at an idle after warming up the oil pressure drops to 0 and it begins tapping like its low on oil but its not, as the rpm's go up no matter if in gear or N the oil pressure rises and the tapping goes away in the motor

do you have a question?

Back