• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cracked Head??? What to do????

kmanxj5050

NAXJA Forum User
searched quite a bit but found more out about what to do after cracked head.

and was getting off the big rapids exit and heard a loud ticking noise.. well i stopped at the shell so the girls could use the bathroom and checked my oil (not milky at all) and it was in the safe area but towards the bottom side (leaks because of bad tappet cover gasket)

So i pulled my cap off and there was about a 1/4" of milkyness on there. And just the other day i had my check engine light pop on for small EVAP leak and very large EVAP leak. I had the same code a couple weeks ago but it went away in day or two so i wasnt that worried about it.

So i think the ticking noise was my head cracked, sound right??? i know these 01 XJ's have a cracked head issue so....

can i check the head on my own or should i take it to a shop????

also in july i pulled the motor, replaced the cam, lifters, oil pump, pickup tube, timing gears and chain (all mopar parts) all gaskets from top to bottom.

115,*** miles on the clock (right now, about 112,*** at previously part replacement)

it didnt over heat at all my jeep runs at the line below 210 (190* tstat)

I haven't got to checking the cast number(just happened yesterday, i am 95% sure it is 0331, because i had heard about the cracking and wanted to check)

1. just wondering what i should, and thanks in advance.

if it is cracked i plan on replacing with the 0630 and getting a adaptor from ummm. Wislick (sorry forgot your sn)

2. How much does a stock 0630 head cost?

3. What year should i look to get one off?

4. What should i have done to it at the machine shop?

thanks

Could be the head but I'd do some testing to confirm. Tests that come to mind include compression test, cooling system pressure test and probably the most valuable is the leakdown test.

Do you do alot of short drives ? that milky stuff could just be condensation. I know there is a dye that you can put in the coolant that glows under black light, factory coolant has it from the factory, if the head is cracked it should show up in the the top of the head under a black light. That you could do yourself.

Last edited:
Most of the pro parts stores should have it. You just add it to the coolant, not much, an ounce or two, drive it for a few hours then in a dark garage open your hood and use a black light to look for the glow, open the oil filler and see if there is any glow around the valve train area. It's the same stuff that is put in A/C systems to find leaks.
I actually consider 10 miles to be short driving, that barely gets your oil hot enough to cook off the condensation from sitting over nite. Normally it takes 30-40 minutes to get the oil hot enough long enough to cook off the moisture.

Back