• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Longest running AW4?

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '87 XJ with 260k on it that I've had it about 6 months and the tranny has been great. I also own a '89 XJ that I'm using for parts, it has $170k on it. So I have a back up transmission. I'm trying to make my rig as reliable as possible.. I'm trying to replace anything that could leave you stranded on some mountain top in BFE..

Anyways, I've always heard really good things about the AW4.. just curious if mine could be getting to a mileage where it could be having problems, or if other people have 300k + on theirs. It's mechanical.. it's gotta wear out some time..

Great Question mine is a 87 at 190,000. so far so good.....

Nick

Mine's got about 200k on it and it seems to be working great. Had another with a little over 200k on it and it too seemed to be running strong. There are some reviews on the net that say they're weak but that's not at all been my experience.

mine had over 300k when it was rebuilt but after all the stuff ive read on here im not sure it needed rebuilding torque conv wasnt locking up so yea they can go quite a while

the one in my cherokee has 270k on it, still going strong. I am on the third engine, a stroker this time, and I am turning 33's. I am generally not gentle on it, I enjoy the hell out of the stroker.

hell at 190k your engine is still pretty "fresh" for a 4.0.

291,000 on my 93 and the last 35K have not been easy...

I've got 200k on my current one and 250k on my old one, no problems with either.

On a related note, not to hi-jack the thread but does anyone know how much torque the AW4's rated for?

Edit:

Nevermind, I found it.

Wow, that's actually pretty interesting, I had no idea.

Yea, I keep forgetting about that. It can't be that terrible of a performance transmission in that case. But almost every online review I've read, it's been given spotty reviews. What gives? :dunno:

What online review? Are they here, on naxja, where the reviewer is XJ specific?

Is it people who have towed a trailer with 4.10's and 37's, and no aftermarket transmission cooler - killing off their trans?

Can't ask what gives without knowing the details.

What I can tell you is I'm considering swapping a 4.5 stroker/aw4 into my ford truck, instead of a v8/700r4, as I trust the setup more.

I also heard they don't like river water....

277096194205_0_alb.jpg

Back