• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

setting control arms

DeftwillP

NAXJA Forum User
First, I'm nominating myself. Members will know what that means.:looser:

If you follow this thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=970148&highlight=caster you can see that I'm trying to fix my caster to gain stability on the highway. I've got rustys fixed lowers and uppers. The uppers have two sets of holes, just like you see here:
RC-CA121-UV_01.jpg

The holes are about an inch on centers. Since I can't seem to find anywhere that sells the lower control arm shims that push the lower end out, I figured I could pull the upper end of axle in by using the closer hole. I've gotten the arms seperated from the axle but I don't really know how to "roll" the axle backward to get the holes to line up. I already have the front drive shaft disco'd for another reason, but the lowers are hooked up as well as the trackbar. I don't own a come-along but I figured it might be the most helpful. I also down have the body on jackstands since I don't own a pair.

Is it best to put in on stands and disconnect the whole front end?

I would put the body on stands, you could possibly use a floor jack on a point off the front of the axle(track bar mount, sway bar tab) if you are careful and use that to roll it back.

When I replaced my CAs if I need to twist the top of the axle backwards, I put a floorjack under the coil bucket, if I needed the axle to go the other way I just jack the front end up and let the axle droop.

try a breaker bar in the "C" at the end of the axle-- you may be able to get enough uumph to turn it a little. It would definitely be easier without weight on it though.... no need to be nominated/ seconded unless you start arguing with the advice you ask for:yelclap:

When I replaced my CAs if I need to twist the top of the axle backwards, I put a floorjack under the coil bucket, if I needed the axle to go the other way I just jack the front end up and let the axle droop.

Worked like a charm. Thanks.

As for the leverage through the c, i didn't think that it would be good for the ball joints.

you're really only using enough force to "roll" the axle a bit, so I don't think you'd do any damage to the balls. It would've been easier w/out the extra weight though.

Back