• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3-link

bluejeepkid

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so i have seen numerous posts of 3-link setups, they all consist of 2 lca's and 1 uca, well i was thinking, why doesnt anyone do 2 uca's and 1 lca??

if u arent going to actually post useful info, plz dont waste my thread..........thx

Come on guys, there's no need to be an ass to a guy who is simply asking a "why not" question. For those of us who aren't rocket scientists or professional offroaders we have questions sometimes. Try not to be a dick.

I nominate bcmaxx for that nomination.

the lower links "place" the axle under the vehicle. The upper links control axle wrap and both work together to lift the body to plant the tires down. But with the panhard holding lateral position, 2 uppers and 1 lower might work. Tho i can see it doin crazy things... Like wanting to roll the axle up under the vehicle from the side that doesnt have a lower arm.

But what do i know, i just make stupid things. And in very incorrect ways i might add!!

There are plenty of people that do it. There's nothing wrong with that setup. The reason XJ guys don't do it is because it's already a major PITA to fit ONE upper link under there, let alone TWO!
Billy

EDIT: Before somebody corrects me, obviously there are compromises to any setup. Moving the lonely link to the bottom makes it more susceptible to damage from rocks and such, but you're pretty much done if you break a lower link anyway... even if there's another one.
Billy

Damn, this isn't rocket science. The lower links locate the axle and absorb impacts, so you need two of them. The upper arm/arms control axle rotation from torque so one will get the job done.

I'd hate to see the forces involved, and the result, of hitting a big rock at some speed with only one lower arm on the other side from the rock. Talk about folding like a taco.......

Damn, this isn't rocket science. The lower links locate the axle and absorb impacts, so you need two of them. The upper arm/arms control axle rotation from torque so one will get the job done.

I'd hate to see the forces involved, and the result, of hitting a big rock at some speed with only one lower arm on the other side from the rock. Talk about folding like a taco.......

thx, thats all i was looking fr

There are dozens of people on PBB that're running it that way :dunno:

That is just the intarwebz though. :)

Billy

I had an accidental 3 link last month when a lower Rusty's control arm failed (no weld penetration, but they were FREE after all). Needed lots of ratchet straps running forward from the axle to the tow hook and back to the rear axle to keep the front in place. Even with "splinting" the control arm this wasnt sufficient to keep the axle under the rig so I had to pull the front shaft to avoid have the axle walk forward and NEVER use the brakes to keep the axle from walking back under the rig. If I hadnt caught it within seconds of the link failing it the axle would have twisted forward or back wrecking steering gear and track bar.

My wife was driving when it happened, just a fun day in the woods........

DSCF1333.jpg

No you can not do a 3 link with just one lower. But please be my guest go out side and try it. It takes only a couple minutes to pull out a control arm. Dont forget the carnage photo's.

John

I hit an obstacle hard enough to do this. I can't imagine what would have happened if I didn't have that link there.
100_0093.jpg

There are dozens of people on PBB that're running it that way :dunno:

That is just the intarwebz though. :)

Billy

I don't think so, Billy. Wanna link some of those threads? I've never seen one, and I'm on Pirate regularly. Now, some people refer to a triangulated four link that has two of the arms converging in one joint as a three link, but it's not. A three link has a panhard bar, and no one has one of those with only one lower arm.........that I've ever seen.

Edit:
OK, I see you did post some links. I don't see anything in the first link, but the second link is good. I see these guys are in the east, I wouldn't do it in the western desert where we haul ass around and can run into a rock at speed. It's one of those things that might work in some situations, but is far from ideal. Also, this is an XJ forum, and in those examples the lower link is in the middle which is where it would need to be, which would be difficult or impossible to do on an XJ. Where would you mount a center lower link on an XJ?

The other thing I see there is potentially less ground clearance, not more. We use high pinion diffs to get more clearance, then you put a link down low right in the middle. On the outside, while you rub on links regularly, they do raise up as the tire drives over a rock, unlike a low center link would. Getting hung up in the middle is one of those things you try to build to avoid.

OK, yes a few have done it (not many), but it has plenty of negative issues, in my view.

Last edited:
rolleyes.gif
Maybe they could have written that on your family's headstones!
Billy

Put the family up in a hotel just off the trail overnight, drove home very slow (200 miles, 8 hours) and came back for them in the morning with the van. While I did keep my Rusty's engine-trans skid (no welds on that) all the Rustys suspension stuff was pulled off the next day and my old Tera Flex arms went back on. The other lower Rusty's was starting to separate as well.

Three link (one lower) was bad enough, but I was heading for a two link (all uppers).

John

Back