• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

going 3/4 ton

bgwyllys61

NAXJA Forum User
well, i finally decided, i am going to put my big axles under my xj, ive got a high pinion dana 50 and sterling 10.25 from a ford superduty sittin in the garage. ive had them for about 8 months, and finally decided id rather put the money i would be putting into stock axles into these.

the plan is to build the axles, make all my brackets, and have everything that i can think of ready, and hopefully swap everything over two weekends

heres the plan, either 4.88s or 5.13s, 35s, longarms, lockers, and as little amount of lift as possible, i had about 3.5" of lift on my old waggy with 34x10.50s and full widths, and had room for 35s, so im hoping to do this one the same

what do you guys think? oh, and i plan on keeping it a dd as well, even though i dont have to, i like driving my xj as much as my tow rig....

sounds good to me, cant wait to see pics

If it has those crappy vacuum hubs I'd get rid of them.

Bracketry is going to be a little tricky with the DS tube being so short but not insurmountable.

When I did my 1-ton swap I prepped and built everything outside of the rig. When it came time to put them in it only took two weekends. It did take a little longer to get the steering worked out but that was my own fault.

no vacuum hubs, its got the lockouts, and my plan is to build everything that i can outside of the vehicle, that way, HOPEFULLY, i can do it in 2 weekends, im just not sure which gears to go with for 35s, keep in mind, i need to be able to drive on the interstate, and pull a boat as well...... definately a multi purpose wheeler

if you're sure you'll be staying on 35s and want to drive on the highway at a good speed, i would say 4.88s is plenty of gear. on the other hand, if you think you may want bigger tires sometime in the future, the deeper gears may be a good thing to consider.

yeah they do, but everyone is making rims for them now, so no big deal, and i do plan on staying at 35s, but i might change my mind before i do the build, probably gonna start cleanin up the axles this week if i get time

it is big, but im thinking i can shave it some, and surely its not as bad as a 14 bolt haha

you guys think id be ok with 5.13s and 35s for multi purpose, ive never been happy with the power my xj has, its always seemed weak to me, so im thinking 5.13s might help the way it feels as far as power. the only concern was rpms on the road at highway speeds

5.13's and 35's my dream setup I'd go with that all day.

i think thats the way im gonna go, i figure the 5.13s should help offset the weight of the axles and tires a bit, and help me with power so, hopefully it will be a little more peppy than when i got it:dunno:

Running 5.38s with worn 36's. Love it.

thanks for all the feedback guys, im definately gonna go with 5.13s, on a side note, anyone ever seen the sheer monstrousity of the carrier and bearings in a sterling 10.25? im imressed lol

it is big, but im thinking i can shave it some, and surely its not as bad as a 14 bolt haha

you guys think id be ok with 5.13s and 35s for multi purpose, ive never been happy with the power my xj has, its always seemed weak to me, so im thinking 5.13s might help the way it feels as far as power. the only concern was rpms on the road at highway speeds

I'm running 5.13 gears with 37" MTRs and I think it is just right. With 35's it will be a little low, but there isn't that much difference between 4.88 and 5.13 so it should be ok.

Back