• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wrong speedo gear?

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
Ok a little history. On my 96 XJ with an AW4 and NP231 had a 4.5" lift that I removed. Anyways the speedometer is fast around 7 mph at 60mph. I assumed the previous had changed the speedo gear and was right. I went to GoJeep's web site for how to change it and for the part number. I ordered the 35 tooth speedo gear p/n52067635 from my dealership. I pulled the old gear out and the shaft is way to short on the one I ordered. The shaft on my speedo gear that is wrong is about 4" long. What gives? Do I try to order the older p/n although my Jeep is a 96 and order one for a 93?

Do I try to order the older p/n although my Jeep is a 96 and order one for a 93?

Yes. It could also be that an older xfer case was swapped in. I think GoJeeps site also mentions that the gear part can be pressed off and swapped onto the other shaft if necessary.

Sounds like you ordered the wrong part...

Nick

I appreciate your response but it seems you did not look at GoJeeps website.

I may try removing the shaft from the gear if they do not take it back at the dealership. The transfercase is for sure the original. I know the previous owners and neither has replaced it. On top of that it has the different output for the driveshaft compared to my 94.

I was able to press the shaft out using a heat gun and a c-clamp. My speedometer is now back to stock. The bad part is I was adjusting the linkage on the transfercase and the transfercase part is seized.

Back