• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good CPS - Replace or not?

kevin s

NAXJA Forum User
'92 4.0. 210,000. I am in the middle of replacing my AW4, which entails tearing apart pretty much everything under there. I am doing the radiator & engine mounts at the same time, and probably the cat too. Considering all of the time I have invested in this thing, should I also go ahead and replace the perfectly good CPS while it is all apart and I can get to it?

Is it "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", or is it "what are you crazy - that thing has 210,000 miles on it - replace it, ya big dummy"?

I'd say replace it so you don't have to screw with it for another 210k:D

I probably wouldnt, it is not incredibly hard to replace, so unless you just want to spend the money I would leave it alone. If you do replace it, keep the old one as a spare.

Either way I would remove it if you are pulling the tranny. Otherwise you risk hitting it with the flex plate and damaging it. At that point, you might as well put a new one in if you can get a good price for a new one.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I have read all of the threads and I guess I should spring for the genuine Mopar part, right?

my original CPS crapped out at 60,XXX, I replaced it with a sensor from autozone and I now have 160,XXX. 100,000 miles out of the sensor ain't bad, now that you've brought it up, I should prolly replace mine as well. As for which one, tough to say, mine lasted 60k, yours lasted 210k. course if you have a working spare, I would just get whatevers cheaper.

If I believe the little tag on mine, it's the original which means it has 225k miles on it. I did clean the connector for it when I went through the whole engine bay and cleaned up the connectors and grounds.

unless your broke, i'd replace it, and keep the old one as a spare, as was mentioned above.

its not IMPOSSIBLE to change them, but it can be difficult if you have large hands.
i dunno about you guys, but i dont carry 3 feet of socket extensions with me on the trail... and thats exactly whats needed to change it.

I replaced mine yesterday and it was still OK at 199,000 miles. Original Renix part. Turned out not to be the problem so it goes into the box with other spare/original sensors and such in case something craps out on the trail...

There is no expected life on this sensor, it can go any time.
You can replace it and the new might fail right away.
Unless you have money to burn, if it ain't broke.....
In my old XJ I had to dig in that area and considered replacing the sensor at 150K more or less. I couldn't get one at the time so I put the old one back in. When I sold the XJ with over 250K it worked fine.
Your choice, it is not black and white.

There's nothing internal to wear out. Not like the oil pressure sensor or TPS which are mechanical in nature. It seems like many of the problems are corroded connectors or damaged wires.

Back