• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Minor Bucking and Electrical Problems

ltkaknm

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I posted a few problems over the past few days about stalling and bucking in a 90 Cherokee. I changed the spark plugs to Champion and the majority of the problems went away. But today when I was driving home from work it did it again slightly. It seems to lose power as the RPM's drop like the engine has no power and then comes back. Today, I rehooked up my stereo and when it did it , the RPM's dropped, it turned off my stereo and then back on again. To me the change in spark plugs enabled the short to not conk out the engine but it is still doing it.

I think I might have a defective fuel pump that I am getting checked on monday, but I do not think that that would cause the radio to shut off. So a short might be the problem.

My question is what is the best way to find a short? I have a multimeter....any suggestions would be appreciated.

LTK

Based on my recent experience...shorts are very difficult to find as many circuits will have continuity to ground through electric motors, etc. But, also based on extensive searching here lately, I've come to the conclusion that many of these mysterious problems may be caused by bad grounds. I'd check the negative battery cable, then the engine to chassis ground strap, clean them up...make sure they in good shape. It's easy..and a good place to start.

Good luck

Back