• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Some First Hand Advice

southernrebel20

NAXJA Forum User
I want a limited slip for my '99 8.25. I have been looking at the lockright and the detroit ez-locker. Those of you with these installed - how do you like them, pros/cons, long-term issues? If you have something you feel is better installed, what are you using? I don't want to spend over $400. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

neither of those are an LSD design. both are auto-lockers.
i run an aussie(cheaper, and the same design as an lockright) in my d44, and so do other jeeps i ride in often.\
i dont like the noise. but the traction in 2wd is hard to argue w/.
wish i saved for a detroit though.

I've got a factory limited slip in my 8.25 and love it. Almost impossible to break traction on dry pavement unless wheel's turned full lock. Offroad it's wonderful pulling me through areas that other guys on open's have to be tugged out of.

If you truely want a limited slip, the detroit true trac is a nice working unit.
I run them front and rear and have no regrets
I don't know that 400 will get you one tho.

I've got a factory limited slip in my 8.25 and love it. Almost impossible to break traction on dry pavement unless wheel's turned full lock. Offroad it's wonderful pulling me through areas that other guys on open's have to be tugged out of.

Ha, I say the same thing about guys with limited slips. "Well, it's not quite open, but he's still stuck, get the strap..." Depends on what driving you do, mostly street, get the limited slip, but if you hit the trails a lot, go with a locker. I've got a lockright in front and a detroit in the rear and love it, except on slickrock.

markw, first off, I agree with you, but will add this...
the true trac can be locked by manipulating the e-brake and foot brakes... it does however add another thing for the driver to contend with. My experience with them has been that, to get the most out of them you need run the proper diff fluid, and gearing to the moon really lets you put the brake to them without stalling, or needing run the throttle. (I'm running 4.56's, a 4:1, and on 33's)
It definately takes some practice to be efficient let alone smooth. I'm guessing an automatic would allow a quicker learning curve, and the gearing would not be as critical.

At any rate, on the trail, ya, lockers are unbeatable... the true tracs can work as well, but, depend greatly rig setup and user intervention :)... it took me several trail runs to get decent at them... and twice that long to get good at it.

yea, I saw that there was an aussie locker for the 29 now. I've heard good things about there stuff so I'm thinkin that I will go with one of those. They are cheap and seem to be of good quality and for the wheelin I do they would be great

When I had my 8.25 I started with a limited slip. I learned the ebrake trick and it does work but, the second you let off the gas it disengages and if you do that enough the clutches on the LS will wear out. It also takes 1 hand off the steering wheel which is a drag when you are in a hairy spot. After all that crap got old, I ended up going with a Powertrax No-Slip, I never could tell it was back there until I was easily driving right through areas where I would normally be yanking on the ebrake and then asking for a strap. I wouldn't buy a limited slip. If your Jeep comes with one, great, run it until it wears out and then get yourself a locker. You'll love it.

Back