• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about shims

Semper Fi

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone know what degree shim I would need for an RE 6030 3.5? I have a 2001 Cherokee with the Auto trans. I have a TC drop on it now and I want to get rid of it because I believe it is causing the front driveshaft to vibe. I know I could take it off and measure the angle, but isn't there a normal degree shim you buy for it? I also have the SYE HD shaft and a Tom Woods driveshaft. I think someone said once that I would need a 3* shim but I can't find that thread now.

You need to measue your driveline angles with a pinion depth finder will give you your answer. I would definitely get the shims sourced and not even consider that TC drop on 3'' of lift. Shim degree varies jeep to jeep, and some dont even use them and have no vibes.

Last edited:
x2 on the above. One of the reasons to get a SYE and CV DS is so you don't have to drop your transfer case. I would remove the TC drop and then measure your angles. In my case, (see sig) I went up 4.5" with no TC drop and got 4deg shims when I put in the TW SYE & DS. Nice smooth vibe free ride at any speed!! Good luck.

ok thanks guys I will have to wait 2 weeks but I will have to hunt down a gauge and take some measurements. What degree should the pinion be set at? is it zero degrees or not?

2 Degrees down to account for torque under acceleration pushing (twisting) the axle pinion up. You can pick up an angle finder at just about any hardware store for a few bucks.

Back