• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil filter's proximity to motor mount bracket.

Mdub

NAXJA Forum User
Well last time out wheeling I put a big hole into my oil filter. When the engine shifts around the filter hits the motor mount. It only has about .25" clearance. Is anyone else's like this? It is a '94. I don't remember it being so close to the motor mount bracket. Can I re-orient the filter like the later year XJs?

This pic is from below and shows how close it is to the bracket...
QuincyandJeep059.jpg

This pic is from above and doesn't clearly show it, but was intended to show the proximity from the top. The filter is not near that big motor mount bolt...it just looks like it. Where it is close is below the head of that bolt and better seen in the previous pic.
QuincyandJeep054.jpg

1) There is supposed to be an adaptor as everyone has said.

2) You have a fram filter, please don't do that again, your engine will thank you.

could be a TJ or ZJ motor. My sisters ZJ had no adapter. You could also buy a relocation kit, mount it in a more user friendly location, and plumb in a cooler at the same time

how did i know this thread would get sucked down the fram debate-hole....
he didnt ask for your opinion on oil filter selection.

Like everyone's saying there's supposed to be a 90* mount there that makes the filter mount on top.

You may check into why your motor is "shifting around". The angle between the mount bracket does not appear right.

Do you by chance have a TC drop kit installed?

Early model XJs had adapters. Late model XJs do not have adapters, the filter mounts directly to the engine.

Thanks for all the responses guys. First, the motor is a swap-in from a 99TJ. But I seem to remember my other block having the oil filter at the same orientation. I have the old block, maybe the old adapter is there. I'll check and report back. All the other XJs I've seen have it going back at 90 degrees, but I haven't seen an XJ my year so couldn't say for sure.

As far as the motor mount speculation goes, I don't think there is a problem there. After the incident I replaced the mounts and the motor is in the same spot as before. And no way the MM brackets are bent, those things are BEEF.

Again, thanks for the comments. I'll check my old block for the adapter. If it isn't there, I'll start piecing the parts together.

I just checked my old block and as I remembered, no 90degree adapter. That one came out straight too.

Anyway, I want to put a 90 in there. Anyone know the p/n?

Back