• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replaceing my t-case(not the linkage)

MTBracer367

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 98 xj 4.0, ax-15, np231 and i haven't had fourwheel drive for a few mounths now and i wanna get it fixed before we get snow

i'm planning on just replaceing my whole t-case i alreasdy tried the linkage and putting the t-case into four wheel drive manually and it still doesn't work and the seal around the tailshaft is leaking

what i'm really concerned about here is when i was helping a friend change his t-case on his 95 we had one from an automatic that wouldn't fit on his ax-15 becaus ethe input shaft wasn't deep enough and i have searched on here but not found any deffinate awnsers as to weather style np-231(96+)were the same way

so basicly i wanna know if a np 231 from a 97 with an aw4 will fit on my 98 with an ax-15

IIRC, auto and manual have different input shafts. You'll either need to swap input shaft from yours into the new one, or find one that matches yours.

i konw that was the case on the pre 96 np231 but i've had people tell me different with the newer ones and i'm hopeing to find someone with experiance before i buy one because i don't have as much cash to dump into my jeep right now as i would like to

yes the dissconnect front axles were discontinued in like 89 or 90

but i am kinda starting to think about it being the axle it has been makeing some noieses lately maybe the spider gears blown out i'm gonna pull the cover on monday or maybe tommorrow night and check it out but i still would like to know about my orignal question

You may want to try and pull the front driveshaft and put your rear end of the Jeep up on blocks. Put it in gear and then see if the front output of the t-case spins while it's in 4WD. Output shaft length I do not know about.

i think thats what i'm gonna try tommorrow because i'm noticeing some noises form my front axle and i'm wondering if i maybe broke a shaft or the spider gears

Back