• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding Knuckle spacers for WJ swap

jdxj

NAXJA Forum User
I need to weld the spacers to my knuckles. Can I just use a mig welder with steel wire or what is best? I assume the knuckles are cast steel and not IRON?

you are correct that the knuckles are CAST STEEL not cast iron.

as such, no special prep is required to weld to them. just the ordinary prep stuff- remove rust, paint, coatings solvents etc.

i welded the spacers onto another members' WJ knuckles early this year. i did not use mig as i use a stick welder at work and have one at home as well, so thats what i used. i dont see why mig wouldnt work.

if someone tells you that you need to have it welded with nickle rod is full of $HIT! if it was cast IRON that statement would hold true, but CI is too brittle to use on that sort of application (i also work with cast iron waste pipe at work and that sh!t pipe cracks and breaks rather easily) but with the knuckle being cast steel standard welding rod/wire is prefered

with the knuckle being cast steel, it will behave slightly different than steel plate or steel pipe (tube). the metal will want to flow a little more than plate. watch your weld gap, puddle control and travel speed. when i weld on cast steel i prefer to use a rod with a fast freezing flux- like 7018- which helps prevent the cast steel wanting to flow and drip as much.

i found one area on the knuckles that was difficult to weld. there was a gap beween the knuckle and plate along the edge (there was contact closer to the inner diamiter of the pieces). I ended up treating it a lot like a root weld on an open grove butt joint. another note, you may find it helpful to put a bolt and nut through the three holes on the knuckle and spacer plate to ensure everything stays aligned properly.

hth
stewie

Thanks thats what I was told my our field machanic at work just wanted to confirm.

:party::patriot:NAXJA

Most of that was good info!But MIG it,either way you will still get the best results(weld/warpage),if you pre-heat and do shorter welds.Do not try to go all the way around in 1 pass.
Temp markers are a good thing here!

Last edited:
ya I thought I would do small pieces and let it cool as I work my way around

ya I thought I would do small pieces and let it cool as I work my way around
You dont want to let it cool! Your trying to maintain temp "until" your done.Then try to maintain the longest cool down possible.
BTW,grind it spotless with a slight bevel!

Last edited:
I still havnt got around to welding mine. Its been 3 years and no problems, its my daily driver.

I was wondering why you have to weld it? it is a non load bearing spacer correct? with 3 largish bolts holding it pinched between 2 flat pieces of steel, I would not have thought it necessary. I am prettying up these parts for my MJ and was considering not welding them.

Back