• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 inch Lift or 3 inch Lift

XJbeachjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I am planing to get my 17 year old nephew a lift for his 96 XJ country this Christmas, anyway I was wondering what other mods need to be done to the suspension for 2inch compared to 3 inch? Also what is the most budget friendly kit? I've lifted my CJ and my FSJ but never an XJ so any tips would be greatly appreciated..

I would go for the 3". I haven't done anything else to mine other then lift it(in regards to control arms and track bar and such). my castor is a little off but its not enough to noticeably affect tire wear. I think its a good height to start out with Its capable but not in the sky. I have the Rough Country 3" with the full leaf packs. It ran me about 500$. Its firm enough for the road and soft enough for the trail. and their customer service is great! Rubicon Express is supposed to be good too but I don't know there prices and cant personally speak for there quality.

oh if you do the RC 3" you will probably need an extended break line in the rear if you plan on doing any flexing

Last edited:
3" 31's is a good first stage
2" requires new shocks anyway, 3" is not extreme by any means, but does look and ride nice. it doesnt requires as much stuff right away as 4+ would. and can be done rather cheaply, many times without syes on older jeeps.

a note about the re 3.5 kit, its really more like 3.4-4.5" of lift, which is a catch22, because the 3.5" doesnt come w/ a trackbar! which you may need at that height

you can get RC stuff strait from RC on ebay for less then there site, plus they have the best offer option which in my experience they are willing to lower the price enough to equal free shipping. the only thing is that I don't think they offer the full leaf packs. and from what I hear people tend not to like add a leafs. I wouldn't know since Ive never used AAL.

Heres a link to there store http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-0...62QQcategoryZ33585QQihZ004QQitemZ140278422333

you can get RC stuff strait from RC on ebay for less then there site, plus they have the best offer option which in my experience they are willing to lower the price enough to equal free shipping. the only thing is that I don't think they offer the full leaf packs. and from what I hear people tend not to like add a leafs. I wouldn't know since Ive never used AAL.

Heres a link to there store http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-0...62QQcategoryZ33585QQihZ004QQitemZ140278422333

Thanks. Want about the real cheap one I think they are just a coil spacer and add a leaf any one had any experience with these? This kid is 17 no job so don't want to invest to much money if you no what I mean.......

Coil spacers are OK although 3" might be too much for just a spacer. Add-a-leaf will sag after a year, its a poor option. If you're going up 3" you are really looking at all new springs and shocks.

Is he a safe driver? Consider the higher COG of a lifted rig. Maybe go for a smaller lift, like a shackle and spacer type kit. Cheap, easy to install, less likely for him to roll the thing.

Thanks. Want about the real cheap one I think they are just a coil spacer and add a leaf any one had any experience with these? This kid is 17 no job so don't want to invest to much money if you no what I mean.......

2 inch budget boost will work. Maybe do a shackle in the rear instead of an ADD A LEAF. You wont need any Transfer case drop... I think you will need some new shocks as already mentioned. I'm not sure of part numbers but I THINK you can get shocks at your local NAPA for a 2" lifted jeep.

Last edited:
2 inch budget boost will work. Maybe do a shackle in the rear instead of an ADD A LEAF. You wont need any Transfer case drop... I think you will need some new shocks as already mentioned. I'm not sure of part numbers but I THINK you can get shocks at your local NAPA for a 2" lifted jeep.

Yeah, Good point on the safe driver he tends to think that his jeep can go any where and calls me to come pull him out. Found a 2 inch budget boost on E-Bay shackle and spacer just need shocks..

id say do a 3" and get it over with. the 2" is alright, i like the stance my jeep had when i bought(came with the re bb and 30's). but i wanted to run a 31 and i knew it would rub at full flex on the bb. so i bought RC leafs/coils and plan on grabbing nicer shocks to go with the leafs/coils. with 31s, you can get 31s on there, gives it a nice stance, and should be nice off-road... especially if he is just getting into it.

i dont think a 3" has a noticeably higher center of gravity, ive yet to roll my 3" jeep(not for lack of trying), but i have rolled a 5.5" jeep playing around.

i understand the desire to go 2", as its not your jeep.

heres a 2 inch lift with 31s (guy in front)

PA244733.jpg

Back