• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 windshield washer pump

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Just finished putting a new one in.
The pump is located on the bottom side of the fluid tank that is in the fender.
You will need to jack the front drivers side body up and or remove the tire.
Remove the wheel well liner, 8 push pins, a door panel removal tool comes in really handy here.
It will be at about 10 O'Clock looking at the wheel well.
Have a bucket handy to catch the fluid.
Rotate and unplug the motor, the bottom motor is the front, upper motor is the back.
If you have a hose handy remove the hose from the pump and stick another on there to recover the fluid in the tank. It will run out from the connector on the pump.
Pull the motor straight out, tight fit but it will clear.
The replacement pump came with the correct weatherpak connector but with two spade bits to connect to the motor. Dielectric grease on both is a good idea.
Leave the old O ring or grommet in the tank hole there. If you do remove it be careful not to let the replacement go into the tank, if you do that please add to this post about how you got the tank out, fished out the O ring and put it back :D
Stick the motor in, plug it in, hook up the hose, some fluid in, test it, it takes about 30-50 seconds before the air is forced out of the hose and the fluid reaches the nozzles. If it does not start pumping reverse the leads.
Rotate the motor so the hose and connectors are facing away from the fender liner.
Reinstall the liner, thats the most PIA part, that and removing it, save yourself some trouble and take ALL those retainers out including that one all the way on the bottom front. I left mine in and fought for 20 min to put the liner back in, removed that front one and it snapped right in and every thing lined up.

i need to replace the top one on my 97. where did you get it and is the bottom the same as the top?

Yup, both are the same, Got it at National Auto parts for $14.

my 97 hasn't had its rear or front "squirtees" working since i got it.
with the salt on the roads i gotta work on this soon....

whats the best way to test this problem?
1) check fuse? anyone know off hand which one it might be?
2) get access to pumps and test the leads going to it?
would i simply disconnect wire leads going to pump and test for voltage while i activate the switch?

just seems that if both don't work maybe its a common problem.

do these pumps tend to go bad?

my 97 hasn't had its rear or front "squirtees" working since i got it.
with the salt on the roads i gotta work on this soon....

whats the best way to test this problem?
1) check fuse? anyone know off hand which one it might be?
2) get access to pumps and test the leads going to it?
would i simply disconnect wire leads going to pump and test for voltage while i activate the switch?

just seems that if both don't work maybe its a common problem.

do these pumps tend to go bad?

They corrode big time. $14 each, just replace them.

washer pump and wipers are same fuse #30 behind pass kick panel so I would assume that if your wipers work the fuse is good and probly your pump is the culprit....I'm going thru this myself right now....looks like I gotta rtear it apart this weekend.....:tears:

Back