• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My new Super Swampers wont stay balanced!! help

XJ20615

NAXJA Forum User
So i ordered a new set of super swampers LTB's on my 91 xj. 33x13.50x15 and had them installed at my dealership i work at. A mechanic got them balanced and put on so i left that night but the next day they just felt like the wheels where going to fly off. Checked the nuts and they are tight. Called 4wp's and they said that they are OFF ROAD ONLY TIRES and they cannot be balanced because they change every time they heat up. I have never heard of this, can someone enlighten me?

They are right. Are you really expecting LTBs to be balanced? :gee:
They are a bias ply tire, they change and will get flat spots just sitting overnight.

They should get back into round (roughly, it is a swamper) after driving on them for a bit.

You may also want to look into airsoft BB balancing...

No pull the weights off, all of them. Head to a sports store and get alot of Airsoft BB's, enough to put about a red party cup's (keg cup) worth in each 33. Break the bead and dump a party cups worth into each tire and go.

-Alex

No pull the weights off, all of them. Head to a sports store and get alot of Airsoft BB's, enough to put about a red party cup's (keg cup) worth in each 33. Break the bead and dump a party cups worth into each tire and go.

-Alex

Seriously!!?? This will really work? The plastic ones or the metal bbs. And 1 full cup off them will fix it.

A keg cup oughta do it for 33s.
Get the plastic ones, steel BBs can turn to rusty clumps over time.
This will really work. Centripedal force inside the spinning tire will distribute the BBs to smooth out the rotating mass. I don't know *exactly* like, at a PhD level, how it works but it does. You have to reach a certain (low) speed to get the BBs to distribute and balance but wheel weights just won't cut it with a dedicated 'wheelin tire.

Seriously!!?? This will really work? The plastic ones or the metal bbs. And 1 full cup off them will fix it.

plastic the metal ones will rust and turn to dust.

It's luck of the draw with balancing super swampers. I have a set of 33x12.5 TSL's that ride incredibly smooth. My buddy has a set of 34x10.5 LTB's that also ride smooth. LTB's are harder to balance though because they are bias-ply, not radial. Good luck!

well, from my experience with LTBs on the road ( ive had 3 sets) they are most likely balanced, but being that they have no steel belts to keep the uniform shape, they flat spot when they sit, if its warm outside, they usually get back into shape fairly quick, if its cold out, well, they might ot get round again for quite a few miles.......mine rode pretty decent once they were warmed up and round again

NO super swampers for me. Thhose things are the devil. gonna get me some bighorns at tax time! :D

Depends on the terrain your in. i wouldnt want a Bogger up at Moab. But i wouldnt want an IROK in the northwest. Interco Makes some of the best Mud/rough terrain tires out there. but they lack in highway driving and rock crawling. Personally. The best tire for a mud/all terrain would be the TSL.

different strokes for different folks i guess. I know they are a very good off-road tire but mine sees 95% road use so i need a good tire for road use that is also good offroad i.e. bighorns:D

Back