• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shoulda done this long ago.

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
Figured I needed a new steering dampener as the old one was leaking. Bought myself a trusty new Monroe and was ready to go. Lot's of banging of a seized up bolt and the old came off. While I was down there, things seemed a little wobbly so I figured I'd replace the tie rod ends too. Took off the tie rod and besides it being a bit bent (barely) I see the stock job is really not much more than a glorified piece of conduit with ends screwed in. Time for a REAL Tie Rod me thinks!!

So I order me up the genuine Rusty's Heavy Duty Tie Rod WITH Ends and Jam Nuts. $99.

WHOA! big difference between it and the stock. Like a kids toy and "the real thing." It came fully assembled, ready to adjust and lock down, even the cotter pins. Compared it to my old one, set the length as close as possible and locked the tie rod ends with the jam nuts. Installed it in less than 10 minutes, torqued it, greased it, and tested it. Maybe my imagination or wishful thinking but I FEEL a difference. SOLID, no wobble when hitting the sunken manhole covers anymore either.

It's a MANLY tie rod, one I feel all warm and fuzzy about.

Here's a few pics, just thought I 'd share something simple that seems to make a difference. Me thinks now I need the Rusty's drag link adjustment collar with the jam nuts, just to round out the look and make it all purdy!

rod1.gif

rod2.gif

rod3.gif

rod4.gif

Last edited:
looks good. always good feeling stickin on new parts for piece of mind, especially upgrades. hey it looks like you have front axle tube seals too, how much do they run now? i should have installed those my self last time i had my axles out, oh well.

On sale from Jason at Group Buy 4X4 for $69. Heard about a nice little battle between Alloy USA and Superior about those things too.

TIP on those seals, CLEAN the inside of your axle tube VERY WELL before trying to put them in. I used a Dremel and a sanding wheel to kind of core it out a bit so they went in easier. If you have to use a sledge to get them in, they'll deform even if you protect the face and use a piece of wood. MAKE SURE they pop right in by HAND or with only minor persuasion.

Don't ask how I know this...

Last edited:
I gots one of those too, except mine isn't Rusty's and it didn't cost me $99. Buahahahaha! What can I say....WF was good to me! :D

101_2270.jpg

(Old pic.)
Why not go OTK on the drives side? Go the easy route and get a goferit insert.
I plan on it as soon as the stock steelies come off.

Lookn' good Rob!

I put all-new steering (stabilizer, drag-link, rode ends) on my XJ a few weeks ago, including a beefy JCROffroad tie-rod. I love it; it's way more responsive now, almost too responsive.

Back