• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end recovery point with no tow hooks

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
I don't have tow hooks on my XJ yet.. and I was wondering.. if I happen to get stuck.. and can't be pulled from the rear.. is it safe to put a strap around the front axle?

On a side note..when I was younger.. and more stupid.. I was wheelin a Isuzu rodeo.. and a guy had gotten stuck in a full size long bed chevy 4x4. All we had was a long chain.. so I hooked the chain to his rear bumper, and the other end of the chain to the tow hook on the front of my rodeo.. then I proceeded to jerk the crap out of it.. going in reverse in my rodeo trying to pull the chevy backward.. the last good jerk.. and my tow hook broke off, and the chain flew toward the chevy and hit the back window, breaking it, and denting the top of the cab. There were too girls in the back seat of the truck who nearly $#it their pants.

I don't have tow hooks on my XJ yet.. and I was wondering.. if I happen to get stuck.. and can't be pulled from the rear.. is it safe to put a strap around the front axle?

:doh:

It is NEVER safe to use your axles as recovery points. You would be better off wrapping the strap/chain around the bumper mounts on the frame (STILL WOULD NOT TRY THAT) just go out and buy some tow hooks before you go off road.

-PJ-

You'll be fine wrapping a strap around your axle. As long as you're not jerking the crap out of it to get you out. If it's a mild stuck, don't worry about it. I've done it plenty of times with my XJ. Don't try pulling people out doing that, though. Just use it if you need to.

*NEVER*, *EVER*, take a running start on a chain. Period. Chains require a slow, steady pull. Tug 'em straps without metal hooks can use a jerk to yank out a stuck vehicle.

You would be better off wrapping the strap/chain around the bumper mounts on the frame (STILL WOULD NOT TRY THAT) just go out and buy some tow hooks before you go off road.

-PJ-[/QUOTE
NO, its not safer to do that.

I've seen a front sway bar used in recovery (I stayed far back from that one).

Avoid it by getting tow hooks.

I agree with Begster, I've wrapped chain around the front axle of my buddy's jeep once and it was a steady pull. He was barely stuck though, and after that his gf and I got him a front tow hitch for xmas.

http://www.hicountryoffroad.com/Products/Cherokee/Recovery/cher_recovery.htm

Tow Hook Mount Kit with D-Ring Mounts and 3/4" Shackles

This kit includes 2 tow hook brackets, 2 D-Ring mounts, 2 3/4" Bow Shackles and all of the necessary mounting hardware.

$96.42

Those are very well made. You can order them without the shackles for less if you have a local source (the Valley stuff sold locally is the same, and most places like Fastenal or TSC have them too).

Or you could buy my slightly used front Hidden Hitch and have options for a winch point or any other device up front. 75 bucks would be cheaper than a new set of hooks.

I got the C4x4 hooks.

Even with a front hitch dont you still need mounting brackets like those included with the c4x4 hooks? I thought it wasnt so much what your hooking the strap to as long as its tied into the unibody solidly.

If you've already got the mount points for tow hooks I'll sell you my old ones for cheap.

For my two Cherokees I picked up factory tow hooks from the "pull your part" junk yard (don't forget the "L" brackets that tie them to the front "cross member").
If you pull them yourself, unbolt them from the frame sides, pull the bumper end caps and 3 bolts from inside each side and remove the bumper + bracket assembly. Then remove the bumper from the hooks and buy your "Bumper Brackets".
I paid less than $20- each set of my "brackets".

Back