• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ E-Brake in an XJ

streetpirate

NAXJA Forum User
I want to get the e-brake out of the center console area on my xj. i never use it, and i was thinking of switching to the under dash ones found on mj's. anyone done it?

yeah, maybe one time i'll have a use for it, maybe for changing tires only.

Disc brakes....:thumbup:
Your best bet is a yj pedal type E-brake, that would be totally out of the way.
The issue however would be the brake lines. It might be easiest to use your xj passenger side cable and a wrangler driver side cable, the wrangler passenger side is very short.To be able to remove the emergency brake cable without having to remove the brakes disconnect the clips that hold the sleeve to the frame and back plate. Route the cable so it wont get caught in anything by pushing the cable into the sleeve from the fame mounted end. This will give you a lot of slack on the cable and usually pushes the spring which locks the emergency cable to the shoe out. With a screwdriver you can easily pop the cable out from the brake pad. Thats just an idea, im sure someone else can explain in more detail.

do the MJ one.
It should be cake.
Go to a junkyard and pull up the drivers side carpet in an MJ, you'll see that the e-brake cable runs from the kick panel under the drivers side seat back to the same place it would exit an XJ.
Grab the pedal assembly and that cable and it should be an easy retrofit.
I like the pedal brake, I mounted my CB where the XJ handbarke is.

The only thing i found that you will need to make is a spacer for the MJ grommit where it goes throught the floor to the brake assembly under the back seats.
The MJ has a rubber grommit and it will be very close to sliding throught the XJ body area whole, i just ground down a washer to keep it centered and stop it from popping throught the floor of the XJ.
It works fine for me. Make sure the MJ assembly is not to worn otherwise it will have a tendency release if it gets hit from the side.

Back