• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oxygen Sensor Question for 90 Cherokee

ltkaknm

NAXJA Forum User
What is the concensus on Oxygen sensors for a 90 Cherokee. I was thinking about going through the dealer, but the everpresent Checker with their all-purpose o2 sensor and one by Bosch.

This is a great site, I just keep coming up with questions that I have always wanted answered.

Thanks,

LTK

I got a Bosch from AutoZone for my '88.

I've had better results with dealer parts, but I get a great price so it's not much of a difference in $$. Just replaced one in my 87 - it was failing emissions, and after that and a tank of injector cleaner, the exhaust was almost clean enough to breath!

check the Jeep website to see if the O2 sensor recall was done.
You may have a free one at the dealership. It wasn't done on my 87 when I bough it, went down there and got myself a free part.

You have a RENIX rig - DO NOT get a "universal" HEGO sensor! The RENIX HEGO sensors work differently from the more usual ones, and a universal will not work. Neither will a "one-wire" sensor - same problem.

Get an application-specific unit for your XJ, you'll save a bunch of headaches spending the extra ten bucks. I've had good luck with ACDelco, Bosch, and Borg/Warner units - I don't have any part numbers offhand (haven't coded that page yet...) but they should be readily available. Just don't bother with "chain" stores - they'll probably have to order them in. Small shops will as well, but I've compared the differences between the two enough times that I honestly don't feel like doing it again right now...

5-90

Back