• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

last few questions about budget lifts

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
so im down to the last final questions about my budget lift before i go ahead and start building it. i drive a 89 jeep xj 4x4 4.0

right now im debating what would be better, getting 2 or 3inches of lift with coil spacers or going cheaper and just stacking 3-4 of the stock ones with zj coils?

for the rear i was going to go with the s10 leafs, and try and get around 3.5-4in of lift, possibly add shackles

as for shocks i was going to see if i could get away with using the stock shocks, maybe add rear sway bar mounts as BPE's..if i need longer shocks i was going to see if i could find MJ shocks but i think that may be kinda hard.

my questions are can i just stack up to 4 coil insolatoer things or whatever they are called? or would i be much better off with coil spacers?

will the ride be smoother then if i just went with f150coils?

my goal is to fit 32x11.50 with triming for as cheap as possible, with minimal upgrades. but still have have performance better then stock

Since your jeep is so old, maybe you should opt for lift coils instead of spacers.

Since your jeep is so old, maybe you should opt for lift coils instead of spacers.

whys that?

the reason i dont want to just replace the coils is because In a a few months I will be putting a bigger lift, probably 6in or so and want to buy new coils, and shocks then.

if i find a decent pair of zj coils i will replace them

Because your jeep is almost 20yrs old and most likely sitting lower than stock as it is.

i need to run the 32s though becuse they are new and winter is coming and i just have a set of 225/75/r15s and i cant wheel with those

can somone please just answer my questions

thanks

If it helps I was running 2" coil spacers and blocks with 31 10.5's. Only minor rubbing on control arms until I installed WJ LCA's. As for shocks, major improvement in terms off "sea sickness" with lift shocks but liveable with stock ones.

Go on ebay and get a set of 2" spacers for $20, stock isolators will cost the same, but with the spacers you don't have to worry about them coming apart. Cheap, easy, and you can upgrade your lift from there.

Do that and some 1.5-2" shackles in the rear and you fit 32's with trimming 1-2" off your fenders.

My first lift consisted of stacked isolators, and I never had a problem with them coming apart. They fit inside each other very well, and are reinforced with steel. You would have to seriously unseat a spring to lose one, and at that point you have much more to worry about.

This lift only cost me about $100 total. Like you, I knew I was going to upgrade down the road, therefore the junkyard lift. Plus I wanted to clear bigger tires I was given, and let's face it, we all get the bug to lift it. This setup performed well, especially for the money involved. Yes, you have to put time into it, but what better way is there to get to know your rig?

-The junkyard just gave me a handful of isolators. $0
-Used S-10 spring packs to make bastards ~$25
-Front YJ shocks (cheap Monroe) ~$25
-Rear F-150 Shocks (cheaper Monroe) ~$20
-Misc Hardware, centering pins, etc... ~$15
-Used front ZJ coils $10
-Homemade sway bar discos $5
-Relocated front brake lines $0
-Homemade front BPEs $0 (scrap tabs welded to axle)
-Used 31" AT tires from a friend $0
-Going more places than my buddies 4-runner on 33s.... priceless!

My first lift consisted of stacked isolators, and I never had a problem with them coming apart. They fit inside each other very well, and are reinforced with steel. You would have to seriously unseat a spring to lose one, and at that point you have much more to worry about.

I came to the same conclusion when I lifted my front. Had to spray a little wd40 on the bumstop posts to get them to slide on, and even then had to apply some pressure to get them on. Even if the coil was to unseat, I doubt they'd slide off. I wouldn't use more than four of them per side though, including the one that comes stock from the factory. Each one is about 5/8 inch thick.

i just bought a a set of 1in and 2in coil spacers off ebay, for 55bucks including shipping,

the local 4x4 store had 1.75in spaces for 65 a pair and were not meant for stacking so i figured this was a decent deal.

Back