• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 link short arm, anyone done this???

Toyman

NAXJA Forum User
Question. I will be installing the RK 3 link shortly, hopefully this week. I have already cut off the upper control arm mount on the passanger side of the axle and I want to go on a run soon, but don't know if I'll get the RK kit on in time. (busy at work, run own business, blah, blah, blah) The current set up in the front is an RE short arm kit w/6.5" RK coils.

Just wondering if anyone has run a short arm, 3 link set up. Does anyone see any danger in this set up? And yes, I did search.

yep, there's been a few 3-link short arms.

I ran one and I'm pretty sure XJ_Ranger has one as well

Cool, any issues to be aware of? This will only be for one run, so I'm thinking it should be OK, but I'm not an engineer and don't know how the length of the arms or the angles will affect things.

Yes I am, thanks for the clarification....hence the lack of the mid arm lingo. It's one run, hopefully it holds.

In one of the threads Billy posted up, you will come upon this thread:

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=910021&highlight=3+link

Most of Opies pics are gone, but he basically beat on a similar setup to what you want to run for quite awhile. Then it failed, but that was after running a couple of semi hard trails.

Ahhh, the benefits of a 3 link turned into a disappearing 2 link. Or something like that.
P1010873.jpg

P1010872.jpg

I say go for it.

Yes, the only potential problem is the strength of the upper frame mount. Oh, and it could waste the upper arm axle mount bushing pretty quickly. For one run, make sure that upper control arm bolt is good and tight.

In one of the threads Billy posted up, you will come upon this thread:

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=910021&highlight=3+link

Most of Opies pics are gone, but he basically beat on a similar setup to what you want to run for quite awhile. Then it failed, but that was after running a couple of semi hard trails.

I say go for it.

On second look, that looks like the passenger side UCA mount that's ripped out. That's the control arm I got rid of. I feel better now. :)

Yes, the only potential problem is the strength of the upper frame mount. Oh, and it could waste the upper arm axle mount bushing pretty quickly. For one run, make sure that upper control arm bolt is good and tight.

For sure, that bolt is tight. The RE UCA's have 5 months of light usage, mostly hwy, otherwise new. The bushings should be fine. Just this one run, then the RK LA goes on.

On second look, that looks like the passenger side UCA mount that's ripped out. That's the control arm I got rid of. I feel better now. :)

Because the passenger side upper control arm mount and the driver's side upper control arm mount are dramatically different?

:confused1

nono its cuz the tcase is a driver side drop duh..

if your running a 3 link w/ oem uppers, isnt the axle gonna jerk back and forth due to the bushing play in the upper? i dunno about you, but i wouldnt run that
besides, cutting off your upper control arm mount frame side is the easiest part of the rk 3 link install, why did you do it ahead of time?

if your running a 3 link w/ oem uppers, isnt the axle gonna jerk back and forth due to the bushing play in the upper? i dunno about you, but i wouldnt run that
besides, cutting off your upper control arm mount frame side is the easiest part of the rk 3 link install, why did you do it ahead of time?

I didn't, the dude who was gonna give me a "smokin' deal" on my engine swap did. :( I would have done it myself, but I was too busy @ work.

Back