• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE Hack-n-tap broken tap, anybody try welding yoke to shaft?

Mike1331

NAXJA Forum User
I got about 3/4 of an inch in with the tap, I used cutting oil, small rotations and always backed out after 1/4 roto to clean tap, almost finished and snap...no mas tap

I tried the Walton tap extractor and it wouldn't work, I tried shattering the tap and broke the tip of the punch off in a flute in between the tap and shaft. I bought a Bosch carbide bit to try and drill it out; we'll se if that works tonight after work. But if it doesn't what do you guys think of welding the yoke to the shaft instead of bolting them together? I was thinking of a weld right where the bolt hole is in the yoke to the shaft. I could get a friend to tig weld it. I’m no metallurgist so I don’t know if the metals are different in composite and/or if they’d weld properly.
Do you guys se an issue with this?

If your going to weld it,cut the head of a bolt off and weld it to the shaft!:idea:

good luck ever getting it apart if you weld it. i'd try welding something to the broken tap and trying to spin that out before welding a yoke on.

get a bolt with an inside diameter thatll fit just over the tap. then you can get a solid plug weld between the bolt and tap and hopefully youll be able to back it out with a socket.

I'm not sure what that would do to the integrity of shaft . . . kind of screwed either way though. . . burn it in!

If your going to weld it,cut the head of a bolt off and weld it to the shaft!:idea:

The bolt really doesnt do any "work" anyway.
BTW:What if you have to replace the seal or something?

Shit, i forgot about the darn seal. i guess if i get a welder its to weld a bolt to the tap and only the tap. Thanks for the input.

What xfer case? If it's a 242, I'm sure someone has pulled one and may have a shaft for it, or use this as an excuse to move over to a 231 which has better support and you don't need a hack-n-tap. :)

I've broken off taps before with no appearant reason for them to break, sometimes its just a cheap tap or a few too many chips in there. First thing I'd try would be a broken tap remover, If that didn't work I would weld a bolt onto the tap and back it out that way. If that fails go for a carbide drill.

If you're good with a blue tip wrench I've seen my boss remove a broken easy out and the broken 5/16 bolt it was in from an engine block without damaging the threads in the block.

Ask around on here. I bet someone has a shaft cheap. I have one for an early NP231.

how about a reverse cut drill bit. that would effectively back the tap reminents out.

FrankZ...... He said he tried the tap extractor and it didn't work..... It's been my experience they rarely, if ever, do work.....

Mike1331...... If there is any of the tap sticking out past the end of the shaft you might be able to weld a bolt to it and back it out.... If the tap is broken off anywhere below the end of the shaft then I doubt it.......

You didn't say what size tap it is..... If you are successfull drilling it out with a carbide drill, you will most likely destroy the minor diameter and will have to go up to the next size bolt if you can. Or helicoil it........

There really is only one proper way to do this and that would be to remove the shaft and take it to a shop to have it EDM'd out. Here it's about $50.00......

Or you can junk it and start over.... Either way the shaft has to come out.....

Back