• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Post-lift issues.

w0mps

NAXJA Forum User
Evening guys,

Just got done putting a Rubicon Express 4.5" Superflex kit on my XJ. Full leaves in the rear, adjustable upper and lower arms, heavy duty tracbar and bracket. Now that I installed it, I am trying to work out some issues I have. First a little background on my XJ. It's a 99 Sport, 4.0L, AW4, NP231 w/ SYE, HP30, 8.25 w/ auburn locker, right now sitting at a height of ~6".
-
First issue I need to tackle is my pinion angles. Like I said I have a SYE, but the leaves were installed, without shims. My current problem is my driver side leaf spring is screwed up. At the main eye loop, the bushing is pushing about an inch out of it, and the spring itself is not centered, but pushed up against the bracket. I spoke with Rubicon and it seems it is covered under warranty and they can send me a new spring. Problem resolved. However, I feel I need to add shims in the back, but I am not 100% sure on how to figure out what size I need. Do I wait until the packs settle to add the shims, or can I figure it out as it sits now? Will it screw up my drivetrain components if I drive it like this until the packs do settle? My front I am not worried about because when I take it to get aligned, the alignment shop will correct my front pinion angle by adjusting my caster.
-
Second issue is a loud RUBBING noise I am getting. I can't tell if it's coming from the front of the Jeep, or the back. You all know how decieving locating where a noise is coming from sometimes. It seems to do it when I am just cruising along. While on the highway, at around 70, if I hit the gas and activate a load, it gets louder. I replaced the steering at the same time as the lift (about a month ago), the axle U-joints, the hub assemblies, the front brake pads, and got the rotors re-surfaced. I checked all my fluids (Mobil 1 in the engine, AMSOIL everywhere else) and they all checked out fine. I am beginning to think it maybe a bearing, if it's not the driveshaft. I AM CURRENTLY NOT RUNNING A FRONT DRIVESHAFT. What should I look for to try to locate this noise?
-
My third issue is a grinding/slight popping I have gotten for awhile now, even pre-lift. Before this I was sitting at the same height I am not, but with blocks and spacers up front :twak:. It seems to only happen when I am in very low speeds and the wheel is SLIGHTLY turned left or right. It feels like a rotating clunk/pop/grind from the drivetrain. Any idea on what to checkout?
-
My last issue is with my front brakes. Seems like when they heat up, they cry pretty loud. Mostly when I am slowing down to a stop, it will start as a slight grind, then a bad grind, then a grind/squeek combo. Like I said I replaced the pads and re-surfaced the rotors, also put new steel lines in. I need to check out the condition of the rotors, they may be pitted and need to be replaced, but not warped because I'm not getting any shaking. The stainless steel brake lines - how exactly should I orient them the best way, on the calipar and the line itself for optimal preformance and prevent it from being caught up on anything offroad?
-
Appreciate any input, and any suggestions in helping me work these issues out. Thanks again.

just a few things I'm throwing out there to check. These may not be your problem but ...

Up front: see if the coil is hitting the bump stop post inside the coil. if thats the case you can perhaps adjust the control arms out more...?

in the rear: IF you have shackles, the exhaust may be bumping them (it).

-----------------------------

***I had a rubbing noise, it turned out to be the wiring from the cat that is close to the DC Driveshaft it was not properly tucked up on its plastic shelf.

another thing that I saw on mine is that the shifter for the T Case is very close to the DC part of the rear drive shaft. if you look you may see what I mean.

I could take some pics if you need me to.

I'm going to take a guess that you need 4* shims.

I had a similar setup and used 4*, and then later put them onto a rig with an RE 5.5"/d44/sye and they were pretty dead on for him too.

I'm going to guess your brake problem is the incorrect rotors. IIRC in 99 they produced both cast and composite rotors...and judging from you symptoms you got the wrong ones.

Popping noise I am going to guess is the trackbar.

Which one are you running right now, the one with the kit or did you upgrade and get the heavy duty one. If you have the one with the RE 6130 kit then the track is only meant for lifts up to 4" and after that it begins to bind when turning in the corners.

Popping noise I am going to guess is the trackbar.

Which one are you running right now, the one with the kit or did you upgrade and get the heavy duty one. If you have the one with the RE 6130 kit then the track is only meant for lifts up to 4" and after that it begins to bind when turning in the corners.
how does the track bar bind when you turn???

Back