• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'88 cherokee laredo, accessory power issues

crackers8199

NAXJA Forum User
sometimes when driving along and all is well in my '88 xj, all of a sudden the radio, defogger, fan, etc will all shut down for a second and then come back on. the engine never loses power and the truck drives fine, it's just the accessory power...

where's the first place i should be looking?

Stick shift perhaps?

Check the fuse block, if it's a stick there is a good chance that brake fluid has ran down from the clutch master and onto the block ruining it.

If not still check it. Next I'd check the fuse links under the hood (they five or so wires that connect to the starter relay's center post).

Could also be contacts in your ignition switch are worn. I had similar symptoms before I replaced my switch. Sometimes the accessories wouldn't work on the first start up. I'd have to shut it off and restart, then the radio etc would work.
Try turning the key to run without starting, turn on your radio, and jiggle the key switch back and forth a little and see if the power cuts in and out.

Last edited:
are there any write-ups on how to replace the ignition switch with pictures? i've searched and found plenty of descriptions of where it is, but no real comprehensive write-up or pictures on how to do it...

ok, here's an interesting update on this situation - today my radio/blower/turn signals went out and didn't come back on after a while like they usually did...so, i decided to start playing around.

i turned the jeep off and turned the key to run without starting...interestingly, the radio worked. i thought OK, it's back again...i start the jeep, no radio again.

so i decide i wonder what would happen if i turn the key back to the point where it's almost turning the engine off, but not quite....voila, radio and blower and turn signals come on.

this sound like an ignition switch issue, especially when combined with my previous problems?

Not sure what your question is. Scca28 suggested ignition switch and you have confirmed that. You could try loosening the screws holding the switch and adjusting it slightly but if going to that trouble on an '88, you probably might as well go ahead and change it.

Instructions will come with the new switch. Some thoughts:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=977550&highlight=ignition+switch

A search with "ignition+switch" will of course give a lot of extraneous returns but you might look around late Spring 2008 for some ideas.

Get back if you have specific questions.

my friend is going to replace the switch for me (this is probably beyond my knowledge level for now, i'm most likely going to watch what he's doing so i know what to do next time)...but he won't get to do it til next week and it's supposed to snow this weekend so i need my jeep...

is there any way i can do some sort of temp fix for this so i can use the truck this weekend? i can't seem to get the blower/turn signals/radio/wipers to come on at all with the key in the run position anymore, only when it's in accessory...

while your friend does the work, take pictures, then do a write-up and post the results here.

my friend is going to replace the switch for me (this is probably beyond my knowledge level for now, i'm most likely going to watch what he's doing so i know what to do next time)...but he won't get to do it til next week and it's supposed to snow this weekend so i need my jeep...

is there any way i can do some sort of temp fix for this so i can use the truck this weekend? i can't seem to get the blower/turn signals/radio/wipers to come on at all with the key in the run position anymore, only when it's in accessory...

its really not hard to replace and adjust the ignition switch. it just a little hard to get to because of its location.

disconnect the battery and try to replace it yourself. it may just be out of adjustment if those things work in the accessory position and not the run position.

Back