• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pressure gauge install, help needed

97babyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i am installing an analog oil pressure gauge to my 97xj 4.0.

if the stock sending unit is not hooked up, will this cause a problem with the computer?

or will i need to also install the stock sending unit to keep the computer happy?

thanks guys

Are you switching from an Idiot light to a gauge?

I cant help you but I thinking about doing that to to my 98. I hate the lights, my oil light some times comes on if the engine bogs a little or if I do some hard breaking over a long distance such as an exit ramp on the highway. I figured the gauge would be the best way to see what is happening to the oil.

The stock sending unit just sends info to the cluster, so your pcm won't know the difference, just your stock dash gauge or light won't register.

no i have the gauge cluster, im just installing an auto-meter gauge on the pillar instead of using the one on the dash.
so as long as the oil pressure sending unit only sends signal to the gauge ill be in good shape,
hey chedisme, what does your gauge cluster look like? just speedo and tach?

no tach just speedo. and 3lights telling me if I over heat, battery is low, Oil, and a fuel gauge, and I Hate it! I have no Idea what my xj is doing just how fast and if something is wrong. Im dieing to swap it out for a more compleat dash, but Idk if all the sensors are there. like does the jeep know what the rpms are but its just not sending the info anywhere?

OBD-II can be funny if it doesn't get an input it's looking for.

Easy way? Get a 1/8"NPT close nipple and a 1/8"NPT T fitting, put the OEM sensor back on, and have the aftermarket sensor on the other branch of the T. Pressure is the same all through a container (Pascal's Law, IIRC,) so it's not like you need constant flow.

You may end up with a persistent CEL/MIL if you remove the OEM sensor entirely, so this is an easy way to go. I happen to know the sizes from doing my "pressure tap" - I ran a T into the OEM sensor and a QC "clean break" fitting to backcheck the gage at periodic inspections. No trouble - it's been about six years.

that's what i was thinking also w/ the t junction sounds like a plan!
also considering hooking up an idiot light gauge cluster rather than my full sweep because i have a set of auto meter gauges ill be hooking up.
would an idiot light gauge cluster hook up pretty easy to my full sweep wiring behind the dash?

Back