• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Longarms or not ?

FoggyHollow

NAXJA Forum User
Im sure that there has been a post similar to this if so Im sorry, but I just needed more info. I have an 89 xj with 4.5 in lift. It will be a p/t DD. I am happy with my clearance but would naturally like a little more flex and a softer ride. I have access to a machine shop where I can have a longarm kit built for FREE. What are the pro's and cons and do I want to do this. Any info would be great.

The only CONS I know of is the Long Arms that mount below the frame rail - they are rock magnets. Make a belly pan with a mounting design like RE's where the lower arms are mounted up inside the frame rails. If you can make it for free then you should jump all over it.

Thats cool.... thanks....Im looking into making the rears a lower profile....Im not an engineer by no means but when its finished and trialed if it works Ill share the plans. It might be a big flop who knows lol. When I get my design and specs Ill post them and invite input. Lord knows alot of heads are better than one.

There are tons of posts on here covering pretty much anything you need to know about long arms. You could actually make an entire design based on the info available. With that said...

Thats cool.... thanks....Im looking into making the rears a lower profile....Im not an engineer by no means but when its finished and trialed if it works Ill share the plans. It might be a big flop who knows lol. When I get my design and specs Ill post them and invite input. Lord knows alot of heads are better than one.
What do you mean by rears? are you going coil rear or do you just mean the back connection point for the LA's? There are lots of things to consider in designing your LA kit, one of the most important being mounting points. Keep in mind your arms will probably act as sliders too unless you get them out of the way like the TNT design. If you have the materials available you might want to build a trac bar too. Then you need to decide 4-link or radius arm, what kind of joints you wanna run, the list goes on. Just check out some of the posts, a lot of reading but some really valuable info.

Back