• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rocker replacement

I opted for something more like "B", with close to the clearance of "A".

Here is before the cut:
DSCF1629.jpg

Here is after the cut:
DSCF1631.jpg

Here is the tube in place. I added more support than the madxj writeup, and plan to tie it into the frame rail at some point. I don't have a pic of it, but there are pieces that extend up to the door sills.
DSCF1636.jpg

Here is underneath. I didn't fully cut the pinch seam, the rockers sat right into the "slot" that is there once you remove the sheetmetal. I then welded the new rockers to the original pinch seam. I then folded over the lip, and welded it to the bottom. This pic shows it right after folding it over.
DSCF1637.jpg

Here is the finished product, and I didn't have to trim the doors or anything.
2.jpg

They have held up great so far, but I still want to tie them into the frame for extra rigidity.
slidertest.jpg

I'd go with A, More clearence... granted it's not the fastest way but IMO the best and if you add frame tie ins it would tighten the unibody up quite a bit.

ehall said:
That's the winner right there. Maybe some tube cut into gussets would be nice, but otherwise that seems simple and purposeful.
Thanks. My plan is to eventually sleeve the frame rail and add some gussets.

Your rockers are like two feet above the lowest point on your belly! :laugh2:
Billy
It does look that way in the pic :laugh:! It's really not that big of a difference. The only real difference in height between these and stock, is that the pinch seam is folded over.
It will soon get a SYE and a new bellypan though, I think I've put that one off long enough!

Last edited:
go with option A this is a far stronger mounting plan, and will not bend up over time with hard hits from rocks. Refer to EricsXj site for his write up found here - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=540357&page=10 this is a great write up on your option A, and it exactly what I followed when I did my rocker replacement. Thas is very strong, and supported, offers great clearence, and can be easily tied into a cage later. As far as cutting the doors, I think if you are going to spend the time and money to do a rocker replacement right with option A. or B. you need to plan ahead have the materials laid out. Its a long profject either way, but way worth the effort in my oppinion. I spent prob 2 weeks doing mine,

Mine has held up very well with many good hits on rocks and no bending, by far my favorite mod ever. Micah

The 'support' doesn't need to be done. Cut the rockers out, square the ends, clamp on your box tube (3x6 fits perfectly...the 3" goes exactly to the bottom of the pinch seam without the need to fold anything over), and weld it. I did it to my last XJ, copied from the one I now own. When it's welded you're tied into the body pillars. That internal block garbage is a waste of time. :) Previous owner of my rig actually cut notches into them for steps...then sealed them airtight for air storage. They've been this way since 2003 and MANY heavy wheeling trips. :D

In action:

xj001.jpg

I have been abit leary of the airtank Idea. I would just weld them tight and call them done. Making air tanks out of them is asking for moisture to buildup there. I also just kinda figured I could come up with a better way to haul air around without having it in a tank I intended to beat around.

The 'support' doesn't need to be done.

I don't agree completely. I do think support to the frame rails is a good idea............at least for the 2 doors.

Iv seen them bend on 2-door rigs but not the 4-door. The 4-door at least has the b-piller for vertical support. But the 2-doors dont have it, so I do think some support is at least necessary for the 2-door.

I don't agree completely. I do think support to the frame rails is a good idea............at least for the 2 doors.

Iv seen them bend on 2-door rigs but not the 4-door. The 4-door at least has the b-piller for vertical support. But the 2-doors dont have it, so I do think some support is at least necessary for the 2-door.

What bent??? 3x6 box tube with a 3/16" wall? I'd like to see pics of this because it sounds like someone did it wrong. There was one guy locally here who tried to cut corners and use a series of sheet metal screws through the pinch seam instead of taking the time to do it right...and THOSE ones ripped right out. :twak: FWIW, another buddy who helped me with the install on my other Jeep did the same to his 2dr and they worked just fine. :spin1:

I believe XJ_ranger on here bent his. From what I have seen It looks to be all the sheet metal around the rocker bent just enough where the doors don't want to open or close. Try a search on here, Iv seen a pic that he posted of it.

I don't need to search, my stuff works fine. :D I wasn't making the claims. :D:D:D

What bent??? 3x6 box tube with a 3/16" wall? I'd like to see pics of this because it sounds like someone did it wrong.

Hey man, It just seemed to me that you were asking and wanted to know.

:dunno:

I wasn't trying to make any claims ether, I was just trying to say that supports are not a bad idea.

I'm not trying to push anyone's buttons here.......I'm just trying to help someone that may have a 2-door and pushes their rig a little harder than others to help prevent messing anything up. Hell... I did this to my last rig (4-door with supports to rocker replacement).....and I think its the best way to go.

But if you want to tell them not to use supports (that's what it sounded like to me)..........then go right ahead..........

Back