• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

relocation and possibly additional radiator

32lugnuts

NAXJA Forum User
just like a lot of other cherokees out there, mine overheats a little while flogging it on low speed, long distance crawls. i've already replaced the radiator, thermostat, and did a flush. i have been thinking about a couple different options:

1. relocating the radiator behind the front seats, placing a fan fore & aft, keeping fans behind empty header panel to bring in cool air to engine bay

2. keeping stock radiator in place and placing a second radiator behind the front seats, fans fore & aft

just so you can get a mental picture i have a chopped, doorless, tubed out xj with stock engine components

looking for anything that'll function, don't care how extreme

what about the ford taurus dual fan set up that has been done? i don't have any personal experience, but it seems to be good from what i've read.

if not that, i'd say the second radiator would be your best bet...

I really wouldn't want a radiator in the cab with me. No matter how much air you pull in, the would make for some HOT wheeling(OK, might work in Alaska) Most everybody seems to manage to solve the problem with the dual fan setup. Have you tried "hot-wiring" the electric fan yet?(wire it to a switch so it runs all the time)

i have a manual switch for the aux fan, fused of course, that i keep on during and after wheeling. i can put the radiator a good bit behind the front seats (there's no rear seats) which would actually mount to my cage rather well. i figured two aux fans blowing towards the rear would keep the warmer air blowing out the rear.

either way one will be mounted in the rear, i'm just not sure if one will be a 100% fix, especially if i decide to rebuild & stroke it or drop in a larger engine...

Are you planning on wearing a "fire-suit" so you dont get "completely" scalded(you still will with the fire-suit)but!Fix the problem,dont make it bigger!

replace your fan clutch and I'll bet that fixes it

Upgrade everything and don't ever worry about overheating again. I'm running a Hesco water pump, high flow thermostat and housing, a '98 cherokee electric fan, Napa clutch fan, and a radiator from ebay that is all aluminum. I can wheel all day with the AC on and never go over 210 degrees. I live in a very hot climate 110 degrees plus in the summer.

Your cooling system should adequately cool your rig if everything is working. There are a number of electric fan setups that work well. If you have a clutch fan, consider mounting a flex fan solidly to the pulley without a clutch. This setup will be noisy but will move the most air. An aluminum radiator will transfer considerably more heat than the copper/brass variety. A high flow water pump may help some. Use water wetter and only 20% antifreeze. Hood vents will help the hot air escape from the engine compartment.

I use GoJeeps reccomendation of a flow restriction in the upper tube. I have a disk that blocks the flow and only allows a 1/2 flow of fluid through a hole in it. The concept affords the coolant to spend more time in the radiator (transfering more heat to the fins) which will allow for greater cooling efficiency.
I also run dual fans that each pull 3000cfm's. With all of that I have no heat problems at all and never get above 190 to 200 degrees. I should be alot hotter with the greater displacement that I have over stock and higher rpms I push.
I also went with summit racing's 3 core radiator for the XJ.

Don't know if you've still got it but if your a/c is crap like mine was, I removed the lines and condenser from in front of the radiator. After doing that the only time it ever hits 210 is when it's initially warming up.

I replaced my stock radiator with a "heatbuster" all metal series from advance. I used to live in NC, and My stroker would run around town with NO fans and still stay pinned on 190. I would fix the problems you have now before I worried about going to two radiators or a relocated one. The heatbuster was only $200, and worked like a charm. My buddy has that and a high flow WP and thermo, his jeep never leaves 180 even with the AC on and hauling a boat.

I would check all your parts, t-stat, pump, hoses, and possibly upgrade your rad and fan. If all your parts are in correctly, working efficiently, and are not leaking upgrade to a better rad and hot wire your electric fan. Check to see if you have enough coolant/water. Search burping your system. I'm not sure if its for the 87-90 renix closed or 91+ HO open system. Both? I've only heard about it.

*I would never put a cooling system in the cab because the lack of fan/natural air helping cool it and.. idk no one wants to sit next to the hot radiator.*

2 radiators? Sounds like you have a big problem if you need 2 radiators.

captain_obvious.jpg

Once again, check the fan clutch and replace it. It wasn't mentioned in your list of already replaced parts. I bet that fixes it.

wow.... ok. i never said i need two radiators. i never said anyone was going to sit "beside them." i have a cherokee buggy. the rear is just completely wide open on all surroundings, except for an exo cage and a fuel cell. the radiator will be in the rear of the jeep, no doubt about it. it will have a shield in lieu of a "fire suit." either way i'm going to move it. i need the extra space in the front of the xj. i have already replaced the thermo, radiator, lines, flushed it, replaced the mechanical fan with another fan so that i have two wired in the front. the radiator removal will have nothing but an open window in the front for fresh air to be brought in. two radiators was just an idea. why does everyone have to know everything on the internet.....

by the way, like i said, it just runs a little warm when i'm in places like harlan, ky... when hills give me a fit, etc. it's not an overheating problem.

Last edited:
You can get a 3-core radiator for like 190 bucks if i'm not mistaken. Why would you want a radiator in the cab with you that just sounds like a bad idea:huh:

Back