• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I want to replace my u-joints

That's referring to the front axle U-joints at the wheels. The driveshaft Ujoints are different sizes, and slightly different type too.

If you have 297 axle shafts, the 760x joints fit right in....they just have a larger X-section.

I did some searchin' and found a post by Yucca Man that says 95 1/2+ have the 5-297x joints that can be upgraded to the 5-760x joints.

Are these joints going to be the same all the way around the Jeep? How many u-joints are there total?

For reference: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=243988459&postcount=6

there are front axle u-joints(5-760x) and driveshaft ujoints.

2 for the front axle.

2 for the rear DS
1 for the front axle and a centering ball rebuild kit for the double cardon joint

I think Burbon meant three for the front driveshaft. ;)

So three for the front driveshaft (Spicer # 5-153x) + rebuild kit.
Two for the rear driveshaft (Spicer # 5-153x)
Two for the front axle (Spicer # 5-760x)

Of course, how silly!

Thanks for the parts numbers. Replacing u-joints seems very straight forward. Enough so, that I can probably do it without setting my Jeep on fire. I gotta get rid of the clunking.

Last edited:
It is very straight forward, but be prepared to break out the BFH and blue wrench and swear a lot. The search button here will become priceless at the first resistance you meet.

I'm pretty good at the whole swearing part. I've already started the searching process. I already have a question.

1. Do you have to remove the front axle shafts to replace the u-joints at the wheels?

Bigalpha, I attempted this job about a month ago. Seemed simple enough. I got the shafts out very easily. The problem I had was that for some reason the ears where my u-joint went in were bent in a bit. So, it was impossible to get the new u-joint in. I hammered and still couldn't get enough room. I finally had to go to a junk yard and get a new axle shaft. Just be prepared for the worst. You never know what you will run into.

I'm messing with the front axle joints right now. What a freaking pain. I have '91 with the older weaker u-joints that are frozen so I thought I would get the newer shafts from another local jeeper and upgrade for cheap. This is what they looked like when he dropped them off:

TJ_D30_Shafts.jpg

Of course the u-joints in those are shot so buy new ones.

After a half day's work I got them apart and cleaned up (no pic yet) and discovered that the hubs are shot so I had to buy those too. Mo money mo money.

Hopefully I will have the parts and the shafts reassembled by the weekend. The cheap swap has turned into $300+ so far though, and I haven't even removed the old ones.

Wow. I sure hope that my junk isn't that broke. I'd just have to put the bad hubs back on, haha. All in all, it seems more time-consuming than anything.

This'll be real fun in my gravel driveway.

The real pisser for me was I broke 2 u-joints trying to put them in. I had to ride my bike to the parts store 3 miles away to get another. LOL It really sucked. I began to loose my patience. I didn't expect it to be that hard to get them in.

Back