• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bigger tires deeper grears

themud

NAXJA Forum User
this is for the big boys out there I currently have 4.56s and 35s and want to go to 4.88s with the 35s and nothing biggger than 35s. But dont know if I want to spend the green for such a small change has anyone one done the 4.56 to 4.88 change and was it worth it?? In the hills it sucks a bit not horrible but I have to get into the pedal more than I think I should have too... 33s and 4.56s was great but Im trying to justify the deeper gears for both the road and the trail Im still running just the factory 2.72 gears in the tcase maybe down the road thatll change but not now... Ive got a lockrite in the front and a noslip in the rear if that helps the decisions..
thanks for the help...
themud

I started with 4.56 and 32's, upgraded to 35's and it was ok around town, but i was downshifting a lot on the highway and had problems going up major hills.

Upgraded to 4.88's and it was NIGHT AND DAY.

I highly suggest it.

thanks for the words cal I thought no one was going to reply to this I guess you and I are the only ones who went from 4.56s to 4.88s on 35s
themud

I know of other peeps who have done it, and one who's mid upgrade right now.

I am currently having 4.56 Installed in my axles right now for the 35" Km2's I just got.

I had 4.88's before on 35" MT Baja Claws but Im not going to lie I wasnt too happy with them on the highway. They were turning too high an RPM.

Honestly I think its my driving since I hold usually a 75MPH cruise to keep up with traffic.

Not to mention BFG runs smaller so they are most likely closer to 34"

I am currently having 4.56 Installed in my axles right now for the 35" Km2's I just got.

I had 4.88's before on 35" MT Baja Claws but Im not going to lie I wasnt too happy with them on the highway. They were turning too high an RPM.

Honestly I think its my driving since I hold usually a 75MPH cruise to keep up with traffic.

Not to mention BFG runs smaller so they are most likely closer to 34"

Are you stick or auto?
I run 33" bfg muds w/4.88's and love it.
Thats with the aw4 auto.

Ive got an auto now, and my old jeep that was on 4.88's and 35's was also an Auto.

I honestly think im one of the only people who was not happy with the 4.88's on the highway. Trust me I LOVED them offroad, and they were fun in the city also, but I drive the highway too fast for that steep of a gear.

I'm running 4.56's on 31's with plans to go to 35's. I LOVE how it is with 31's so I think it's gonna suck when I move up to 35's. I probably should have gone with 4.88's.

I know a few people completely happy with 4.56 on 35's.

I honestly feel its all about how you drive.

I tend to drive normal on the side streets and more speedy on the highway, but thats just me.

I think the manual/4.56/35's are the perfect ratio, if the motor put out 300 ft/lbs. A stroker is next before 4.88s for me.
But I also enjoy the 4:1 case and would not want the 2.72.

Ive got an auto now, and my old jeep that was on 4.88's and 35's was also an Auto.

I honestly think im one of the only people who was not happy with the 4.88's on the highway. Trust me I LOVED them offroad, and they were fun in the city also, but I drive the highway too fast for that steep of a gear.

I like to drive fast on the highway also, but due to traffic I rarely get to drive over 65.
If I'm able to drive as fast as I want to I take the diesel truck instead...:D

Back