• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My on-board air hose reel!!

jwtrapper

NAXJA Forum User
I've had this done for a while but never have taken any pictures of it. I took a walmart air hose reel, stripped it down to just the real and through all the plastic in the trash. Made a mount for it and fit it inside the fender. The roller fiarlead was found on ebay. It took a lot of putting it in and taking it out to get every thing to work just right. I think its the best part on my jeep. When I need to use the air I have it right ready to go. No hose laying in the back taking up space, its quick to un reel and reel backup and its the perfect complement to my york compressor.

Real002.jpg

Real005.jpg

And here is a quick video I took off my camera reeling it back up. My little girl is excited about it too. =)

Nice work. I can appreciate a clean, uncluttered install, I just hope you don't get rearended. Keep an eye on your departure angle on the trail too. It would suck to "trim" that quick connect off the end of the hose wheeling.

Good job

You left out the most important pictures.
How do we know there's not someone pulling the hose through from the inside?

Now THAT is one of the more creative, and Useful mods I've ever seen.:clap:

Thanks for all of the great comments!! This was a very frustrating thing to get to work right.
I will see if I can get some better pictures, but with the battery right there it makes it kinda hard to see. As for dirt and water it just is not a problem so far. The stopper seems to take up enough space to keep most of it out. My only problem with it is I realy wanted to cut and fold here when I built my bumper and now I cant. I might do it still and get some or build some tail light boxes and put the roller fairlead in below the tail light. But there is a brace right about where I need to come out with the hose if I do that. I just need to figure out how to build it into a bumper some how. I'm getting tired of the stock rain gutter bumper.

This will give you some kindof an idea about how it is mounted onto the fender.
reel.jpg

This is a picture of the reel from walmart. All the plastic came right off and went into the trash.
yorkcherokee011.jpg

Nice idea. Congrats on coming up with something new for an XJ. It seems that everything has already been done by someone.

Back