• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ rear leaf ?

WaXJ_Skier

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know how much longer an MJ rear leaf is than an XJ rear leaf.

MJ leafs give about a 3-4" lift when used for SOA right? I'm thinking about using MJ leafs on my XJ with these shackle boxes reverse mounted and keeping my current shackles. Any thoughts?

But another thing I was concerned about is the distance from the front leaf bushing to the center pin. I guess a Dodge van(dont remember the year) has the same distance between the front leaf bushing and center pin, but is 2 or so inches longer in the back.

But another thing I was concerned about is the distance from the front leaf bushing to the center pin. I guess a Dodge van(dont remember the year) has the same distance between the front leaf bushing and center pin, but is 2 or so inches longer in the back.

yeah I'm a little worried about that too! Diff in the gas tank isn't a great idea.

I'm hoping this setup would give me some good flex but also be stable and ride well on the road.

I have MJ springs on my XJ, and here is what I found. It moved my rear axle back 3 inches and a 3 or 3.5 inch MJ spring with a 1.5 lift shackle and shackle relocators will give you 8 inches of lift. Here is a picture of my rig with the old shackles on it.
9zohn7.jpg

I have MJ springs on my XJ, and here is what I found. It moved my rear axle back 3 inches and a 3 or 3.5 inch MJ spring with a 1.5 lift shackle and shackle relocators will give you 8 inches of lift. Here is a picture of my rig with the old shackles on it.
9zohn7.jpg

how is the flex and ride quality?

I will let you know Sunday when I get it on the RTI ramp. So far the ride is great. Flex is the big question. I have yet to flex it out. The big issue I see with doing this is if you are not cut a lot in the rear you won't be able to deal with the rear moving back 3 inches. Now if you use the RF perches like I did you can move the axle forward 1 inch. So you will only be moved back 2 inches. My advise if you are going to do this is figure out how much lift you want and the take every piece of the rear into account. So for example I gained 8-9 inches of lift, and here is the setup:

Shackle relocators by H.D. Offroad (BTW these things are bad a$$) Gave me about 1 inch of lift
RF spring perches
TnT 1.5 boomerang shackle
3 inch HD MJ leaf pack from Motion Offroad
And a Ford 9 inch

Shackle relocators by H.D. Offroad (BTW these things are bad a$$) Gave me about 1 inch of lift

Thanks for the props, I think you should move your upper bolt forward 1 hole for a little more angle on your shackle, will give you more down travel and a tad less lift......Looks great.

Those shackles were on there just so I could move it. I cut my bumper moved the relocator back 1/2 inch and went to the second to last hole with a 1.5 inch boomerang shackle. Much better angle and seems more stable. Those shackles in the picture suck, unless you have saging leafs like on my 93 then the work great.

Okay I promised I would show you guys how she flexs. So here are some pictures.
t5llj9.jpg

b5ku2w.jpg

33bibfb.jpg

2ujgo76.jpg

2dv8y8k.jpg

2e4ah3b.jpg

11u8gfk.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions...

looks great, great flex, and I really like those pit bulls. how does it ride on the highway? I want to do similar to mine.

Parakeet

I don't know yet... You are seeing the first time I have ever flexed it. I have not driven it yet. But around my buddies backyard it was the smoothest ride.

Back