• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering on - off

fdsa487

NAXJA Forum User
Last night I was bored so I decided to hit a small trail. Its close to home and has 2 rock obstacles.

I did the trail with no trouble and no carnage.

When I got off the trail I noticed something was wrong with the steering. It felt like the power steering was out. So I get out of the vehicle and check everything out and all looks fine. The power steering was full and nothing looked bent.

I say screw it maybe I was smoking crack and it just felt hard turning out of the trail or it was still engaged in 4X. Checked the 4X status and turned the wheel and everything was fine again. I did a couple laps on the dirt road and began to head home. As I was pulling into the gas station and the power steering goes out again and its a hell of a hard time to turn. Then the power steering comes back out of the blue as I turned around and went home. The power steering went on and off like that 3-4 times on the 15 mile drive home. Mostly when I would be slowing down or turning into a driveway. It never did it at speed. What is the deal and has anyone had anything like this before? Im running 33's and I have inspected the entire system for leaks checked the fluid and eye balled the tie rod and drag link. It the power steering pump going out?

When my PS pump went out due to another reason, the replacement unit acted pretty much the same way your's does now. A bitch to turn from a dead stop/start, but worked fine otherwise. Parallel parking was particularly tough.

After a day of that nonsense, I yanked out the new replacement pump and put in another. It cleared up the problem, so I'd venture to say your PS pump is on it's way out too....

I happend to me on the trail causing a flop. The pump was fine. Apparently a small piece of debris got caught in the control valve in the Saginaw unit.

old_man said:
I happend to me on the trail causing a flop. The pump was fine. Apparently a small piece of debris got caught in the control valve in the Saginaw unit.

I flushed the fluid and put all new fluid in from a sealed container. It has not happened since. Thank you, Old Man. :eeks1:

anodyne33 said:
Did you check your serp belt? I suppose you'd probably hear it if it was slipping, but it would be a cheaper and easier fix than the pump.

umm.....two posts up from yours. he found the problem.......:rolleyes:

Ivan said:
When my PS pump went out due to another reason, the replacement unit acted pretty much the same way your's does now. A bitch to turn from a dead stop/start, but worked fine otherwise. Parallel parking was particularly tough.

After a day of that nonsense, I yanked out the new replacement pump and put in another. It cleared up the problem, so I'd venture to say your PS pump is on it's way out too....

x2

that was after I changed fluid twice (using Mopar clear). Mine shat itself after 100,000Km. Sounded premtaure to me, but there was no leaks etc. Only running 31s.

Back