• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive shaft Bolts

jerseyjeep01

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know where I can find the 5/16" head bolts that are used for the CV transfer case side? The shorter ones axle side I can get anywhere, but the longer ones no auto parts store has.

Does anyone know where I can find the 5/16" head bolts that are used for the CV transfer case side? The shorter ones axle side I can get anywhere, but the longer ones no auto parts store has.

If you're talking about the screws that hold the double Cardan joint to the transer case front output yoke, I've always been able to use standard 5/16" hex head capscrews for that without any trouble. The axle yoke screws were a bit goofy - I use 1/4"-28x1" socket head capscrews there - easier to work with, and the socket head is about the same size as the flange under the reduced head they use OEM.

The parts catalog for a 2001 shows the bolts as part number 6036147AA, "Drive Shaft to Transfer Case Yoke, Mounting", size .312-24x1.170. The originals have 6-hash marks which means they were SAE grade 8.

http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/ has them for 93 cents, and the dealer probably wouldn't charge more than $2 each in the worst case. Find a specialtly bolt place near you and get capscrews that 5-90 mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure you could use SAE5 there, but why take chances? I got SAE8, and suggest you do as well. I also know that CRES capscrews will work there as well - I used them for a while just to check (CRES is typically H&T to ~SAE6-7 level. It's just not carbon steel, and SAE-spec screws have to be carbon steel H&T to specified levels.)

.312-24x1.170 comes out to 5/16"-24x1-1/8" (you're not likely to find these,) x1" (you can find these at the hardware store, but I don't like using shorter screws without a compelling reason) or x1-1/4" (which I used. There's room.)

The socket heads should only be used on the axle yokes - you don't have room to get a hex key in on the double Cardan yoke screws between the yoke and the transfer case. I've tried...

You should be able to find the 1/4"-28x1" socket heads and the 5/16"-24x1-1/4" capscrews at the local hardware store without any difficulty and for a reasonable price (I think the capscrews run me about a dime each, and the socket heads about forty-fifty cents the pair.) I don't go to the dealer very often - although I do send a lot of parts business their way... Go figure.

Back