• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what's wrong with the '00 and the '01's

Semper Fi

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 cherokee with over 105,000 on the clock. I have owned it for just short of 4 years. It has 5.5 inches of lift and 31 inch tires on it. It had 66,000 miles on it when I bought it. It also has a salvage title, because it was wrecked when it has only 4000 miles on it. The Jeep was cut in half and welded to another Jeep, mine smashed in the front the other smashed in the rear. The only problems I have ever had with this Jeep is the ones I created when I lifted it. The head has not cracked as of yet. The Jeep is driven both on and off road, and was my DD until the price of gas went sky high. The only thing I don't like is the front rear, I wish I had the high pinion instead of the low pinion, but not that big of a deal. So what is the reason everyone stays away from them?? Here is my baby

102_3994.jpg

102_3980.jpg

100_3941.jpg

100_3940.jpg

more obdII is the only thing I can really think of besides the shimmed, lpd30 front. I've got a 00 and so far no problems. . .

I've only come across a few OBD codes on my 01 in the 3 years I've owned it. All of them were fixed easily. And as far as the head cracking.... screw it, good excuse to pull the entire motor and build a stroker! :guitar:

The three biggest reasons have already been stated, the head cracking, the LP D30, and for some OBD2. The only thing I would want off of a '00 personally would be the intake manifold and block for a stroker.

'01s had a bunch of extra evaporative emissions crap that can be a pain, and additional cat converters.

The heads can be replaced with later model TJ heads that aren't as prone to cracking.

The distributerless ignition system in the '00-'01s is almost waterproof.

Also I remember reading somewhere they were having issues with the blocks cracking and breaking away from where the motor mount bolts to the block. But IIRC that was on 99+ and not just 00-01.

So what is the reason everyone stays away from them??

Ignorance. :dunno: There were plenty of them on the trails at Moab this past month. I'm getting ready to change out my front rear to a HP to hopefully eliminate a few vibes when cruising down the road.

There's nothing wrong with them. I love mine.
I ran a lpd30 for 4 years with zero issues, but if it bothers you its easy and cheap to get a hp from a wrecking yard and swap it.
The head cracking is one of those urban myths as they don't crack anymore than other years.
I very much prefer the distributor-less ingnition.

jeep3-8x6.jpg

I have a 2001 cherokee with over 105,000 on the clock. I have owned it for just short of 4 years. It has 5.5 inches of lift and 31 inch tires on it. It had 66,000 miles on it when I bought it. It also has a salvage title, because it was wrecked when it has only 4000 miles on it. The Jeep was cut in half and welded to another Jeep, mine smashed in the front the other smashed in the rear. The only problems I have ever had with this Jeep is the ones I created when I lifted it. The head has not cracked as of yet. The Jeep is driven both on and off road, and was my DD until the price of gas went sky high. The only thing I don't like is the front rear, I wish I had the high pinion instead of the low pinion, but not that big of a deal. So what is the reason everyone stays away from them?? Here is my baby

Very nice rig. Just what everyone else has said here. The LP30, which is cheap and easy to swap. Oh, what about the ABS, do you have that?

There bad because poor little kids that lurk internet forms cant afford a newer Jeep. They are stuck w/ the 1980's Jeeps there daddys hand down to them. Now I guess even the 00 and 01s are getting old too, its crazy to think that they are going on 10 years old...
Only thing I see as a neg is the lp 30, possibly the coil rail but just carry an extra coil if your worried, and my personal #1 complaint.... you cant find parts for them in the junk yards like you can for the 96 and older jeep.
+ Side: larger u joints
Unit bearings
Better rear axle (8.25)
Bigger master cyl
High Output
bigger gas tank
Cup holders
Just looks updated in & out

Last edited:
+ Side: larger u joints
Unit bearings
Better rear axle (8.25)
Bigger master cyl
High Output
bigger gas tank
Cup holders

I have all of that in my 98

The 0331 head does crack, it's no urban legend, the other AMC I6 heads... as in 40 odd years worth of them; do not crack. To say its unheard of would not be much of an exaggeration. I'm sure exceptions could be found but cracked AMC heads or blocks are extremely rare. A quick search here or on Jeep forum or JU or pick one, will show lots of hits for 0331 head cracking with Jeepers relating their warrenty issues trying to get the cracked head replaced. At some point I think (late 01 or 02 maybe?) Chrysler fixed the mold or Core and the problem has since disapeared. as most of the affected heads have long since been run past the 75-100K mile mark that seemed to be the common time frame where the crack occured.

There bad because poor little kids that lurk internet forms cant afford a newer Jeep. They are stuck w/ the 1980's Jeeps there daddys hand down to them. Now I guess even the 00 and 01s are getting old too, its crazy to think that they are going on 10 years old...

I never thought of that one. I love mine!!! And no I don't have ABS. A front rear, is the big axle looking thingy under the front, in fact it looks just like the one under the rear of the Jeep. (Just kidding around here.) My friend has a 1999 wrangler with 6 inches of lift and 35's. He is always getting pissed off at me because I do most everything he does on the trail. I do know when to say enough is enough, I don't have lockers like he does. Sierra Drifter, Nice rig! I like the bushwackers but don't think I will put them on mine. Have you ever had problems with them breaking on the trails?
102_3773.jpg

102_3772.jpg

102_3762.jpg

Last edited:
I had a '84 in '86 and I liked the inside just a bit better than the newer ones, but the newer ones do look more updated. Then again the newer ones look just like a Wrangler inside. Must have been cheaper to copy the Wrangler than make one just for the Cherokee

I just bought a '00 and the overall drivablity of it vs my '93 and '90 is so much better. Ofcourse it's newer and all that but, overall it just is easier to drive. I can't wait to get it lifted.

The 0331 head does crack, it's no urban legend, the other AMC I6 heads... as in 40 odd years worth of them; do not crack. To say its unheard of would not be much of an exaggeration. I'm sure exceptions could be found but cracked AMC heads or blocks are extremely rare. A quick search here or on Jeep forum or JU or pick one, will show lots of hits for 0331 head cracking with Jeepers relating their warrenty issues trying to get the cracked head replaced. At some point I think (late 01 or 02 maybe?) Chrysler fixed the mold or Core and the problem has since disapeared. as most of the affected heads have long since been run past the 75-100K mile mark that seemed to be the common time frame where the crack occured.

My 77 CJ-& cracked a head & a block, two seperate issues and NOT overheated.

Like you said the problem with the 0331 head is a thing of the past. Chrysler fixed the problem with new castings. The majority of those that would have cracked probably have by now and have been replaced. So warnings about 0331 heads are a moot point.

I've got an 01 and I love it, no problems so far *knock on wood*. It would be nice to have the hp dana 30 but eh, if its ever a problem I'll just throw a bigger axle at it and solve the problem :)

like everyone has said, the LP D30 is the only downside. but if you dont lift super high and run big tires it really isnt an issue. and it has like 4 O2 sensors and three cats or some stupid numbers like that. and the head cracking isnt really a big thing, to me it only seems they are only more prone to crack if overheated a lot and not properly maintained.

Back