• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

zj or wj brake booster/master cylinder?

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 91xj with ABS. i want to swap in a better brake booster and have seen some writups but was just wondering if i should be using a zj or an wj bosster/mc? i have a couple zj's sitting here for parts but wasn't sure if i could use them or if i needed one out of a wj? thanks.

The ZJ master cylinder is the exact same one, part number and all, as in an XJ.
The booster is a different model but I don't how compatible or desirable it is as a swap.
The goodie parts are from a WJ.
Your 91', though, has the single diaphragm booster - so if you can make the ZJ model work, it's bound to be an upgrade.

I did the WJ on mine... Happy with it ,made a huge difference on braking.

Nick

i just looked at my jeep and i don't even have a brake booster. then i looked in my manual and it says that only non-ABS equipped have the brake booster. so how can i replace my non existent booster with a better one?

i just looked at my jeep and i don't even have a brake booster. then i looked in my manual and it says that only non-ABS equipped have the brake booster. so how can i replace my non existent booster with a better one?

Thats a new one.. You sure ???

Nick

yeah, but in the diagram in the manual it shows a booster pump/motor, its just a small little pump that looks similar to the master cylinder. it think that the ABS sytem uses this instead of a booster. kinda weird, i don't know how i'm gonna make a booster fit into the firwall when there wasn't one there to start with?

are you planning on keeping the abs?

If not, it should not be a huge issue to mount a booster. Every XJ (of the same years) has the same body. At most, you might have to drill 4 holes....but the holes are probably already there.

You have the failing bendix abs most likely. Ditch it for anything else. I swapped one from a wj last week and one of the best mods I have done yet. Stopping 33's is no problem now.

I did this on my 91. Bought a booster/MC for a 95, along with the pedal. Unbolted all the ABS stuff and bolted the 95 booster/mc on. The pedals have different mount points.
IMG_2327.JPG

95 pedal on the left.
IMG_2325.JPG

I've done the same mod on my wifes 91XJ. That ABS setup in the 91 is downright scarry. Get rid of it. The hardest part was getting all teh old crap out. It's wound in there tight.

You also have to run some new brake lines and cuss a few times to get it done.

Good to know, all the jeeps I've seen all had boosters... Thanks for the education.

Nick

easily solved with washers

Uh, no. Look at that little pin on the arm where the rod from the booster mounts. It's like an inch higher on the ABS pedal. Not easily solved by washers. The booster/mc was a straight swap. I think I had to cut/rebend 1 line, and I cut the old hydro boost line adn removed the pump on the passenger side.

Back